Thread: Wearing supports.

Wearing supports.

Is it true that by wearing a support on what ever area you are injured in, your actually weakening the area.
    My mate has done his back in and his badminton coach said he shouldnt wear a support because he's weakening his back
    I wear a knee support on my left knee when i run and play cricket because otherwise i would be facing bad pain and it alos gives me peace of mind somehow; once the supports on i forget my knee hurts.

Re: Wearing supports.

Essentially yes - when you are wearing a support the muscles don't work, and therefore weaken.
    However there are times when using a support is still beneficial eg if you are doing something that you know will flare you up, or if a support gives you the confidence to do something. I taped my ankle when running for a few months after spraining it. I started off feeling the need to tape it before every run, then just if I knew I was going on really rough terrain, then only for racing, then just for a mountain marathon when I knew the muscles would tire (plus this is how I did it in the first place so there was a confidence issue) Finally after about 8 months I didn't need to bother.
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

The thing is not to become reliant on a support. Supports and taping for that matter don't really provide masses of support (particularly the neoprene type ones) but give proprioceptive input to the area. What happens is that the support gives extra input initially and provide some support but this means your body is more aware of the stresses you are putting on it. If you were to continue using the support your body in essence gets used to it so its natural mechanisms become compromised and it would then be difficult to get away from using the support. The support may also give psychological help if you have a worry about it. Like me using brufen gel its more in my head that it works.

My advice would be that a support is good in the short term but you need to try and address the underlying problem and not develop a reliance on the support.

Cheers bud. From now onwards then im guna put the support into semi-retirement for a while and see how I go on. The reason i wear my support on my knee is because i was walking down Helm Crag a.k.a The Lion and the Lamb with ma family at Easter and I since im a faster walker than everyone else, me and my dog went of to sumit another peak (ginsons Knott) meaning that we had to speed walk down the mountain to catch everyone back up again. I was fine after it but the next day my knee was killing and has been since them. I think its my ligament but not totally sure.
    So that meant i would of had to stop running which i dont want and also playing cricket didnt help it as its the knee that recieves the most pressure as i run in to bowl; so i turned to my faithful knee support. ....fingers crossed...

Another thing to consider is what 'support' you use and what is it for.

I cringe in 'sports shops' that sell elasticated and neoprene ankle and knee supports.

First ask your self what injury do i have? If the answer is you don't know go see a physio/doctor who can tell you.
    second What support do I need? If you don't know ask your physio. you may just need to warm the muscles around the injury but you may need Patella support or even hinged knee support or more esp if you have an acl instabilities , medial and lateral collateral ligament sprains, meniscal tears etc. You might have to restrict the amount of extension/flex you have.

Getting a generic elasticated bandage can do more harm than good.

Consider the amount of energy to damage a ligament/tendon.
    Using an inferior support means you will put more load on the injury before failure. but this time because of the extra load the injury can be worse.

My advice is speak to a Physio before getting any type of support.

Can anyone pass on any useful techniques/equipment to use as ankle supports. I slightly turned my ankle last week and was wanting to strap my ankle to provide some support as a confidence measure for a race I am doing this week

My preference is to tape the ankle.
    The technique depends on which way you sprained the ankle. The ankle can be sprained into inversion - ie you go over on the outside of the foot with the foot under you; or eversion where the foot gets forced outwards.
    The most common injury is an inversion injury, this usually gives pain, bruising and swelling on the outside of the foot.
    In which case my preference is for a basket-weave taping.
    You need a tape that is about 1 inch wide and doesn't have too much stretch. Strappal is a brand name I quite like and you can probably get it in Boots. Sellotape doesn't work too well
    Cut some lengths of tape that will go from under the inside of your foot, across the bottom of your foot, then up the outside of your leg to just below the knee.
    Put one layer of tape on top of another overlapping by about half the tapes width.
    Finish off with a anchoring strap across the top of the tapes to hold them all on, but don't go all the way around the leg as this may cut off circulation.

There are more detailed instructions and some photos at http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...ave_taping.php

One final tip - when you come to take the tape off you may have a greater understanding of why cyclists shave their legs
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

Thumbs up Wearing supports, always.

Quote Originally Posted by janeho View Post
    Essentially yes - when you are wearing a support the muscles don't work, and therefore weaken.
    However there are times when using a support is still beneficial eg if you are doing something that you know will flare you up, or if a support gives you the confidence to do something. I taped my ankle when running for a few months after spraining it. I started off feeling the need to tape it before every run, then just if I knew I was going on really rough terrain, then only for racing, then just for a mountain marathon when I knew the muscles would tire (plus this is how I did it in the first place so there was a confidence issue) Finally after about 8 months I didn't need to bother.
    I've used tubigrips as support (reminders?) for years & have never had a bad reaction unless they are too tight or I leave them on all night.
    Last year I had a sore calf after a long run & ran 2 days later with a tubi on, was not in pain & it healed up nicely in another 2 days.
    Similarly with knees; if I feel a twinge I run with a tubigrip on & I feel more confident & the pain soon disappears.
    Hey, if it works why knock it?

Regards,

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.