Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shins

Shins

Dont know if anyone can suggest anything,i've been having trouble with my shins for a while now,couldn't run for about 6 months last year,and never really got diagnosed with anything apart from having low arch,but having got better stared running and racing again of late,but i still get pain after a hard race or training run on harder surfaces that takes a day or two to go away before i can run again,but it seems to be worse after moel elio,just wondering if anyone knows any exercises that may help the problem the pain is on the muscle on the outside of my shin

cheers
    fleeter

Re: Shins

Strap it up or wear an elasticated support that you can buy from a chemist for about £2-£3 in one or half meter lengths. I had shin pains too and i hobbled round for weeks. But the supports helped. But as in the Thread about 'Wearing Supports'....people have said that you shouldnt wear them for too long and dont become reliant on them.

Best o luck mate!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    Dont know if anyone can suggest anything,i've been having trouble with my shins for a while now,couldn't run for about 6 months last year,and never really got diagnosed with anything apart from having low arch,but having got better stared running and racing again of late,but i still get pain after a hard race or training run on harder surfaces that takes a day or two to go away before i can run again,but it seems to be worse after moel elio,just wondering if anyone knows any exercises that may help the problem the pain is on the muscle on the outside of my shin

cheers
    fleeter
    Fleeter are the midsoles on your training and racing shoes hard?

at the moment walshes for racing and for training inov 8 roclite 320 so i would say yes

Master

at the moment walshes for racing and for training inov 8 roclite 320 so i would say yes

Fleeter the problem with most fell shoes today, is to prolong the life of the shoe, manufactures use hard materials for the mid-soles. These don't protect the runner, because all the shock travels up the legs.

For some runners this lack of proper cushioning is what causes their leg troubles. Unfortunately I don't know a single racing fell shoe that doesn't have a hard mid-sole.

When choosing a training shoe press the mid-sole with your thumb and finger. It should feel soft and springy. You don't needs gimmicks in a shoes cushioning(bits of plastic etc), just the right rubber.

As for exercises for the shin area, get on a leg press machine. Press out a light weight, then raise and lower the weight just with your feet. Try to keep the soles of your feet straight.

Now on the same machine press out a heavy weight and shuffle your feet so your heels are off the foot-plate. Let the weight push your toes towards your shins, and hold the position for as long as you can, without any attempt to move the weight. This is an excellent exercise for strengthening the ankles and achilles tendons as well.

It may be worth seeing a podiatrist.
    I have low arches and used to suffer with painful shins if I upped the mileage.
    Decent orthotics sorted out the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    It may be worth seeing a podiatrist.
    I have low arches and used to suffer with painful shins if I upped the mileage.
    Decent orthotics sorted out the problem.
    i've been down that road to no avail,i wear carbon fibre orthotics in my work boots but otherwise i dont think they would be of benefit to me,all my problems stem from lifting big heavy loads trying to do commando training last year,ended up with all sorts of problems becuase of NATO issue boots and me being a short arse,thanks for all the replies will take them on board and give them a go

Always worth a soft tissue opinion I think: we have a fine sports massage therapist locally who treats a lot of runners and cyclists.
    Some good technique with this can really help to mobilise tight structures and release the odd bit of lingering scar tissue....it's then easier for the muscle to work well. Unfortunately, it often really hurts when they do it!

Our local physiotherpist is also v. good..........sees the bigger picture:- eg. do you have tight calves which are pulling a little at the back of your lower leg, hence causing some overwork in the muscles at the front when they try to do their job and lift your toes/ankle up away from the floor???

Apologies if this all sounds a bit muddled......I have had an exam today (and viva) and am NOT feeling my most perky.

Good luck, Fleeter!!

......I have had an exam today (and viva) and am NOT feeling my most perky.
    What in & how'd it go?

Master

i've been down that road to no avail,i wear carbon fibre orthotics in my work boots but otherwise i dont think they would be of benefit to me,all my problems stem from lifting big heavy loads trying to do commando training last year,ended up with all sorts of problems becuase of NATO issue boots and me being a short arse,thanks for all the replies will take them on board and give them a go

Fleeter now you tell us.You'll understand the other points I made about cushioning, because NATO issue boots probably have no cushioning.