Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

Today's Sally

So, during Lockdown 1.0 I discovered this press-up challenge. It seems it was all very popular a while ago and was old news to everyone else but me. Nevertheless, with press-ups being a staple exercise for me over many decades, and it's just 3 mins 30 sec (only 30 press-ups), so how hard could this bit of fun be, eh? How wrong!

Anyone else had a go?

Here's the timer I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koMp3ei4xJw

I can get to 2 mins and 17 secs (well over 1 mins still to go!)and that's the absolute maximum I can achieve after months of practicing - I've hit a wall. And to be honest during the final 20 secs or so of my efforts the press-up form is rubbish. I'm a stickler for form so these are, mainly, proper press-up (nose/chest to just above the floor and full, locked arms, extensions).

Of course, the challenge isn't really the press-ups themselves, it's the 'hanging around' in a lowered plank position while ''ol Miss Lucy's dead and gone, left me here to weep and moan', that causes the burn.

Here's how it's done properly... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41N6bKO-NVI

One tactic I've learned is when you 'bring Sally down' do it smoothly and use all the time this part of the lyrics allow you, rather than dropping quickly. You can shift your hand and feet positions too, which provides an iota of relief.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Holy cow...

You just need a different song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMe6furWc3M

Glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    You just need a different song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMe6furWc3M

Glad I could help.
    Love it! That's cheered me up Noel - Cheers
    Am Yisrael Chai

Never managed it with press-ups but have done it squatting - still quite hard, thighs aching at the end. I've also tried it 'in reverse' ie stay in a high plank position for most of it, just drop and do one full press up every time you are ordered down. A bit more manageable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    So, during Lockdown 1.0 I discovered this press-up challenge. It seems it was all very popular a while ago and was old news to everyone else but me. Nevertheless, with press-ups being a staple exercise for me over many decades, and it's just 3 mins 30 sec (only 30 press-ups), so how hard could this bit of fun be, eh? How wrong!

Anyone else had a go?

Here's the timer I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koMp3ei4xJw

I can get to 2 mins and 17 secs (well over 1 mins still to go!)and that's the absolute maximum I can achieve after months of practicing - I've hit a wall. And to be honest during the final 20 secs or so of my efforts the press-up form is rubbish. I'm a stickler for form so these are, mainly, proper press-up (nose/chest to just above the floor and full, locked arms, extensions).

Of course, the challenge isn't really the press-ups themselves, it's the 'hanging around' in a lowered plank position while ''ol Miss Lucy's dead and gone, left me here to weep and moan', that causes the burn.

Here's how it's done properly... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41N6bKO-NVI

One tactic I've learned is when you 'bring Sally down' do it smoothly and use all the time this part of the lyrics allow you, rather than dropping quickly. You can shift your hand and feet positions too, which provides an iota of relief.
    Just introduced myself to this - managed 10 - that hold just above the ground is the hard bit. In Adam Thwaites' HIIT sessions we often do 100 or so press-ups but not all together and usually with another movement thrown in - for example press-up, knee to elbow, knee to elbow; three press-ups, five jumps; press-up, bum to ankles; press-up, down onto elbows, back up. I will have another go on the weekend.

Well done on doing 30!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Just introduced myself to this - managed 10 - that hold just above the ground is the hard bit. In Adam Thwaites' HIIT sessions we often do 100 or so press-ups but not all together and usually with another movement thrown in - for example press-up, knee to elbow, knee to elbow; three press-ups, five jumps; press-up, bum to ankles; press-up, down onto elbows, back up. I will have another go on the weekend.

Well done on doing 30!
    Wow Mike, that sounds like a great stretching work out too. I think that whole sequence would also boost my short-term memory

Just to correct, I CAN'T do 30 press-ups as part of the Sally sequence (it's 30 reps in total in the 3 mins 30 secs), the hovering delays burn my arms. However, I can manage 30 plus straight off though (one of my routines every morning after cleaning my nashers! ).

Up to about age 50 I could manage 64 reps in 2 mins. My Dad had been in the marines and I recall when I was in my teens him telling me that that was one of the entry tests, so I used to challenge myself for years. However, once I hit 50 years the slow decline set in!
    Am Yisrael Chai

I have a favourite little combination:- Squat. Squat and jump. Squat, jump, come in to do a burpee as you land. Same again but this time instead of going straight in to the burpee pause in the high plank. Then same again but do a press up after the high plank. Harder to remember where you are in the sequence than to do sometimes.

At School we did a 'keep fit' session as part of the DOE scheme. Among other things the expectation was 30 press ups and 75 sit-ups. The only good day at School was a Wednesday - swimming in the new pool at Troutbeck Bridge in the morning, back there at Lunchtime if we were lucky for a kayak session or on the new fangled climbing wall, 'Games' in the afternoon, which for me usually meant a run up Orrest Head and then this keep fit session after school. Nearly everything else at school was a pile of poo....
    Incidentally someone called Paul was there at a similar time and showed great interest in the new climbing wall. His own are much, much better!
    Last edited by Mark G; 03-12-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I have a favourite little combination:- Squat. Squat and jump. Squat, jump, come in to do a burpee as you land. Same again but this time instead of going straight in to the burpee pause in the high plank. Then same again but do a press up after the high plank. Harder to remember where you are in the sequence than to do sometimes.

At School we did a 'keep fit' session as part of the DOE scheme. Among other things the expectation was 30 press ups and 75 sit-ups. The only good day at School was a Wednesday - swimming in the new pool at Troutbeck Bridge in the morning, back there at Lunchtime if we were lucky for a kayak session or on the new fangled climbing wall, 'Games' in the afternoon, which for me usually meant a run up Orrest Head and then this keep fit session after school. Nearly everything else at school was a pile of poo....
    Incidentally someone called Paul was there at a similar time and showed great interest in the new climbing wall. His own are much, much better!
    I went to secondary school in the 70s and gym sessions were all rope climbs, pull-ups, press-ups and sit-ups. Interesting how press-up styles have changed from elbows out to elbows tucked in, and how sit-ups are becoming taboo, due to back issues. I'd never heard of 'a plank' until my 30s !!
    Am Yisrael Chai

I think a teacher at school once called me 'a plank', how rude.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run