Page 294 of 460 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 4596

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Spotted a red kite over the lower Usk valley.
    Only question is....has it spread 'up' from the M4 corridor colony or 'down' from the Brecon Beacons??
    Not seen any in my neck of the woods in between the two.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Threw some old bread and a chicken carcass in to the field this evening.

Security light just came on to see the Shire horse eating the bread and next to him was the fox eating the chicken.
    Both happy with each others company.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerblader View Post
    I was quite close to a Raven yesterday evening near Shelf Benches, Glossop. Just after that I also saw a medium sized raptor. Initially thought it was a Buzzard but its plumage and head seemed lighter and it did a wheeling / swooping dive at one point. Any thoughts?
    Sparrowhawk? Have a look at some google images.

Super Moderator
    Kestrel?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

My youngest found a shed red deer antler yesterday with 10 spikes on it. I think that means the deer was a 20 point stag, which according to the internet makes it an "imperial stag". Apparently English deer can have more points than Scottish deer and can grow larger antlers. I'm guessing that's related to the milder climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerblader View Post
    I was quite close to a Raven yesterday evening near Shelf Benches, Glossop. Just after that I also saw a medium sized raptor. Initially thought it was a Buzzard but its plumage and head seemed lighter and it did a wheeling / swooping dive at one point. Any thoughts?
    we've loads of kestrels around Shelf Benches but also peregrines have been seen around the moors there too

Wow, where did she find that, I'm very jealous!

I've got a roe deer antler, a fallow and a reindeer antler (that a friend brought me back from his time stationed in South Georgia) and I have a red deer skull found in a lay-by in Scotland but I've never managed to find a red deer antler.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    My youngest found a shed red deer antler yesterday with 10 spikes on it. I think that means the deer was a 20 point stag, which according to the internet makes it an "imperial stag". Apparently English deer can have more points than Scottish deer and can grow larger antlers. I'm guessing that's related to the milder climate.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    we've loads of kestrels around Shelf Benches but also peregrines have been seen around the moors there too
    It was quite a bit bigger than a kestrel or peregrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Wow, where did she find that, I'm very jealous!

I've got a roe deer antler, a fallow and a reindeer antler (that a friend brought me back from his time stationed in South Georgia) and I have a red deer skull found in a lay-by in Scotland but I've never managed to find a red deer antler.
    It was lying near a river bed along the valley in Wildboarclough. We wondered how old it was, but it must have been pretty new as it was still leaking small bits of blood from the base. We're considering making a hat rack. Any other ideas?

That's such a good 'find' My antlers are just propped up about the place as I sometimes take them to my workshops for people to draw and I like handling them but you could probably find some good craft ideas for it on pinterest.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It was lying near a river bed along the valley in Wildboarclough. We wondered how old it was, but it must have been pretty new as it was still leaking small bits of blood from the base. We're considering making a hat rack. Any other ideas?
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'