Page 336 of 458 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346386436 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 4576

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

I had a strange wildlife encounter yesterday. We were out walking by the Crag Inn in Wildboarclough and the dog frightened a bird from the road verge. It hopped along the ground and didn't look right to be where it was so we called the dog away. It turned out it was a kestrel. I'm not sure if it could fly or not, but it wasn't doing. I tried to pick it up but it kept making little hops away when I got close. So I threw my waterproof over it and lifted it up so I could take it away from the road. We let it go in some nearby woods but it didn't fly away. I hope it was a temporary lack of flying ability; otherwise we knew it wouldn't last long.

It was a shame to see such an iconic bird not flying. We had to re-explain the survival of the fittest concept to rationalise that it might be dead in a day. This was partly for the benefit of the kids and partly for ourselves.

I saw my first ever wild Rat today whilst running alongside the Coventry Canal (hardly headline wildlife news I know, but a first for me....)

Today saw a Heron, Kingfisher! A pike bout 20lb a few dozen trout! A tawny 🦉! Total run distance half a mile as i got dragged by 4 paw drive x2 down a bank.. to Llynpadarn..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Today saw a Heron, Kingfisher! A pike bout 20lb a few dozen trout! A tawny ��! Total run distance half a mile as i got dragged by 4 paw drive x2 down a bank.. to Llynpadarn..
    Not Mr Pudge's mutts, Pengy? Haven't seen them (or him) for a while now; but they were always headstrong.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Rebuilding some gaps in a field wall in the Washburn valley today. Cold start, but OK when the sun came up (what else is there to worship?). At one point there were 4 kites circling and 2 buzzards. As I sat down to eat my sandwiches one of the buzzards came across with a squirrel for its lunch. It landed in a nearby tree and we both ate.

Super Moderator
    Nice encounter. I heard a robin singing this morning at 4am. Spring is definitely on its way

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    As I sat down to eat my sandwiches one of the buzzards came across with a squirrel for its lunch. It landed in a nearby tree and we both ate.
    So buzzards are the solution to the grey squirrel problem? Maybe not, they probably eat reds as well.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So buzzards are the solution to the grey squirrel problem? Maybe not, they probably eat reds as well.
    Reds are more bitter - a bit like lollo rosso lettuce.

On the Trigger today I was taking a very unfrequented route from near Snake Pass down towards Within's Clough. Completely remote and trackless. As I was shuffling along, from out of the heather in front of me, a huge arctic hare. Never seen one before, pure white. I watched it speed off and could see it for well over a quarter of a mile, such was the contrast against the terrain.

I saw one on Bleaklow, then almost stood one heading down above Withins clough. If it was the same one it will have got a good amount of exercise in today!

Was up on Bleaklow (between wain stones and shelf trig) in the summer when I bumped in to Carl Bedson (Chesire hillbillies and FRA statistician) counting them, he does quite a bit on hare conservation - his twitter feed often has pictures of roadkill on the A57 (as well as youtube vids of him playing the flute in the mountains!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy