Page 337 of 458 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387437 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 4578

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Today saw a Heron, Kingfisher! A pike bout 20lb a few dozen trout! A tawny 黎! Total run distance half a mile as i got dragged by 4 paw drive x2 down a bank.. to Llynpadarn..
    We walked around Lyn Padarn last weekend! The quarries are spectacular!...and the Union Crag interesting too....assuming there aren't two Lyn Padarn's!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So buzzards are the solution to the grey squirrel problem? Maybe not, they probably eat reds as well.
    Pine Marten's are the answer to the Grey Squirrel problem...apparently/hopefully!?

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    On the Trigger today I was taking a very unfrequented route from near Snake Pass down towards Within's Clough. Completely remote and trackless. As I was shuffling along, from out of the heather in front of me, a huge arctic hare. Never seen one before, pure white. I watched it speed off and could see it for well over a quarter of a mile, such was the contrast against the terrain.
    I believe that'd be a Mountain Hare or Blue Hare rather than an Arctic Hare. Lovely to see mind.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Pine Marten's are the answer to the Grey Squirrel problem...apparently/hopefully!?
    We really hope so, but even given our so far successful reintroduction of the martens here in mid Wales it will be many years until they are at densities to make a significant difference - if they do. But our martens are breeding and spreading their territory, our few remaining reds are very illusive but just about hanging on.

There's some evidence of buzzards taking reds, think on the isle of Wight they had some concerns as the buzzard population began to increase. If one sees a buzzard with a grey it's hard to know whether it was prey of scavenged road kill?

Given the location I saw it and the direction it flew in from, I'd be suprised if it was roadkill.

On another topic, the farmer I'm walling for thinks the decline in lapwings is due to redkites predating the young from the nest. Can't win in this nature game.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I believe that'd be a Mountain Hare or Blue Hare rather than an Arctic Hare. Lovely to see mind.
    if you want to see more send me a message and I'll take you for a short run and you'll see loads. I've seen up to 50 a week in spring in certain areas

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Surely white hares in the Dark Peak must either go extinct or else evolve to stop turning white in Winter? Or have too many of the raptors up there been killed to allow Natural Selection to take its course?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[QUOTE=MattPo;637780 Can't win in this nature game.[/QUOTE]

Very, very true.

On my run today there was a crow (I think) doing that thing where they turn upside-down (by doing a barrel roll) for a bit to lose height. It was just in front of me and the dog for quite a while as we ran along a ridge line where there must have been an updraft. Nice to see - although I've no idea why they do it.

Super Moderator
    Sounds like a raven Noel. I think they do it because they can. It must be ace fun. Proper ‘Top Gun’ stuff. Incidentally if you go to where daz h passed away ravens are often there. Listen out for them ‘cronking’