Page 338 of 457 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348388438 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 4562

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Super Moderator
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-Raven-.../dp/0061136050

I’ve not read it but it sounds interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Sounds like a raven Noel. I think they do it because they can. It must be ace fun. Proper ‘Top Gun’ stuff. Incidentally if you go to where daz h passed away ravens are often there. Listen out for them ‘cronking’
    Yes, I thought raven initially. It's sometimes hard to get perspective to identify the larger size. Normally it's the tail shape and larger bill that gives it away, but I couldn't get a good enough view while running.

Maybe it's a show of aerial prowess - I hear they're starting to pair off ready for mating about now.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Yes, I thought raven initially. It's sometimes hard to get perspective to identify the larger size. Normally it's the tail shape and larger bill that gives it away, but I couldn't get a good enough view while running.

Maybe it's a show of aerial prowess - I hear they're starting to pair off ready for mating about now.
    I've heard stories about Corvids flying high with a stick in their beak, deliberately dropping the stick and then swooping down to catch it mid-air. Presumably just for fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    On the Trigger today I was taking a very unfrequented route from near Snake Pass down towards Within's Clough. Completely remote and trackless. As I was shuffling along, from out of the heather in front of me, a huge arctic hare. Never seen one before, pure white. I watched it speed off and could see it for well over a quarter of a mile, such was the contrast against the terrain.
    Poor thing was having a bad day, I startled one as well in the same area. Probably the same one.

Walking round our local nature reserve at lunchtime; we looked across the river Wharfe to see two foxes in flagrante delicto (sp) in the middle of a field of winter wheat. Stuck together for ten minutes until they seperated and ran off into the woods. Bold as brass, have they no shame.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    ...we looked across the river Wharfe to see two foxes in flagrante delicto...Bold as brass, have they no shame.
    What else is there to do in this weather?
    It's what, a few months later, leads to this...

Motherly Love
    by Andy Holden, on Flickr

Super Moderator
    Ravens, foxes and hares - brilliant

On my Thursday bike ride I saw a vole (Field?) and a Stoat! Nearly squished the vole. On a down note we may have scared our Voles off with excessive de-gardening!?...though we seem to have gained a squirrel, and we had Long-tail Tits on the feeder which is always a nice treat!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    On my Thursday bike ride I saw a vole (Field?) and a Stoat! Nearly squished the vole. On a down note we may have scared our Voles off with excessive de-gardening!?...though we seem to have gained a squirrel, and we had Long-tail Tits on the feeder which is always a nice treat!
    Thursday bike ride TFG? The Lancaster & South Lakes CTC usually squeeze 60 or so miles in every Thursday, starting from around Lancaster and sometimes heading through your territory.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Cycling into work this morning I heard a Song Thrush singing. That's 4 weeks earlier than last year.