Page 455 of 460 FirstFirst ... 355405445453454455456457 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,550 of 4597

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Some years back there were a pair of Hen harriers at Llyn Bugeilyn, I was camping and fishing there. Pumlumon area again so perhaps they are still about.
    Lovely up there. Must have been a bit lonely farming up there. And , Yes I hope they are still nesting up there.
    Have you ever been down to Cwm Gwerin on the way down to Nant Y Moch. Amazing secret valley.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Lovely up there. Must have been a bit lonely farming up there. And , Yes I hope they are still nesting up there.
    Have you ever been down to Cwm Gwerin on the way down to Nant Y Moch. Amazing secret valley.
    I've pondered over Cwm Gwerin but always talked myself out of it by thinking it is probably going to be a bit of a swamp!

But as you recommend it I'll give it a go and report back. I would think that the crags either side will be quite impressive from the floor of the cwm.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 14-02-2024 at 08:27 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Just realised that I dropped into the cwm to the north of Cwm Gwerin, Nant Gelligogau, from the Source of the Severn on a run in April 2021, and down into Hengwm.

Beautiful and remote, but a swamp in the bottom.

And the only wildlife I recall seeing were a couple of bits of crumpet on horseback at the summit of Pumlumon!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 14-02-2024 at 08:39 PM.

I used to run there a lot, a favourite from Hafren car park to source of Severn, straight over and down to Hengwm and then down the Hengwm valley to Maesnant. Follow a path up beside the Maesnant direct to Pumlumon trig. Back along the ridge to Arwystli and make my way back however I felt.
    Loved the area and camped it a few times, true peace and quiet. Plus midges!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

That was the exact run I did Moley. 16 miles!

A dead deer this morning on the kerb of a road in inner-city Coventry. Some kind of deer-type animal anyway. Quite small, would have been no more than a couple of feet tall.

I had no idea they got round these parts, particularly urban areas.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Probably a Muntjac. They are more common in urban areas than you would think and use the canal as an access route. I've seen them on both the Birmingham mainline and Birmingham and Worcester canals.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Cheers Pete. I did just do a bit of research online/wikipedia, and it looked more like a Muntjac than any of the other possibilities.

What looked like an Oak eggar moth caterpillar on the track up to Green Bell from Weasdale. I was running and with my head down into the weather so while I was able to spot it (I thoink that's what is was anyway), I didn't linger. Amazed to see a hairy caterpillar at this time of the year, but it has bee na mild winter.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    What looked like an Oak eggar moth caterpillar on the track up to Green Bell from Weasdale. I was running and with my head down into the weather so while I was able to spot it (I thoink that's what is was anyway), I didn't linger. Amazed to see a hairy caterpillar at this time of the year, but it has bee na mild winter.
    I saw a brown Hairy caterpillar high up on Cadair Idris a couple of weeks ago. Like you, I was surprised.