Page 52 of 457 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Re: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post

I saw a small flock of Red Polls at the bottom of Kinder reservoir this morning.Not a rare bird by any means but always nice to see.
    Nice

A very big Barn Owl took a rat off the road right in front of me as i cycled home tonight!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Over the last few days I've seen loads of hares up on Scout Hill. It's great to see the way they move and the speed they can reach over the snow.

I was wondering whether they are always there, but well camouflaged so I never notice them, or whether they move to places where they can feed when the weather's bad like this?

Anybody know about hares?
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    Over the last few days I've seen loads of hares up on Scout Hill. It's great to see the way they move and the speed they can reach over the snow.

I was wondering whether they are always there, but well camouflaged so I never notice them, or whether they move to places where they can feed when the weather's bad like this?

Hes - forumite, poet, artist and printmaker knows a thing or two about hares I suspect. Think she should be back very soon from journeying round India

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post

They are there all the time, certainly round hear on Howden/Derwent edge. I see them all year in various states of pelt. best time is early morning or late evening. if you're quiet and off the beaten track you can see loads in the peak

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    They are there all the time, certainly round hear on Howden/Derwent edge. I see them all year in various states of pelt. best time is early morning or late evening. if you're quiet and off the beaten track you can see loads in the peak
    I remember seeing loads one late winter - early spring day with white coats near the Grinah Stones. Looked like all the residual patches of snow were getting up and running off

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I remember seeing loads one late winter - early spring day with white coats near the Grinah Stones. Looked like all the residual patches of snow were getting up and running off
    I had a close encounter of the hare kind recently. I was about one mile north of Grinah Stones on NYE with Plumbum & a group of others ploughing through deep snow and heading for Ronksley Moor shooting cabins for a left over lunch. When a Mountain Hare burst out of a hole in the snow at my feet and set off up towards Barrow Stones. This was followed by a hare which was startled by Peter who wisely used skis to make the journey.

The ammount of over wintering Grouse on Howden moors suggests bad shots this summer and autumn or the recession cutting down the number of corporate guns.

Super Moderator

Short-eared owl, fairly close to home

A pair of very lesser spotted snow ravens..... Summit of Dove Crag last Friday

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    A pair of very lesser spotted snow ravens.....??????????
    Can't say i've ever seen or heard of them before.I think the cold has got to you or it is a fell running euphemism for something very naughty,i have led a very sheltered life!
    They look more like Alpine Kingfishers to me