Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running boom.

Chris

Running boom.

Is there a bit of a running boom now a bit like in the 80s? I fancied doing one or two races but they're booked up with four hundred runners or more. This includes Liversedge Half Marathon next week (so it isn't just a fell running thing) and a couple of English championship fell races and the Isle of Jura. Seems to be every kind of thing. What is going on?

Re: Running boom.

Yes, there is a boom. Be proud to have set a shining example!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Only heard yesterday that Jura had filled up; put my entry in a couple of weeks ago so not at all sure that I've got a place yet. . I'm sure it doesn't usually fill up so early does it?

There does seem to be a boom. Loads of friends have paid the rip off fee for the Manchester 10K and they have never run in thier lives. Good luck to them.
    30 years and still here.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Is there a bit of a running boom now a bit like in the 80s? I fancied doing one or two races but they're booked up with four hundred runners or more. This includes Liversedge Half Marathon next week (so it isn't just a fell running thing) and a couple of English championship fell races and the Isle of Jura. Seems to be every kind of thing. What is going on?
    god only knows chris
    i only just got in liversegde, the oraniser e mailed me and said he could have got loads more in such was demand
    must say lots of races down here are becoming booked early
    chris you was runnin in the last boom , wots your theory ?????

david

Is there really a boom in fell running or is it just that everyone seems to want to run the same races these days? It's hard to compare numbers because there are more races in the calendar now than ever before. I suppose if someone were to add up the total number of runners competing each weekend now and compare that with 10, 20 30 years ago it would give us a better idea.

For what it's worth, here's a totally unscientific comparison of the number of runners in some races in 2006 and 1986:

Blackstone Edge 2006 62
    1986 255

Pendle 2006 177
    1986 at least 274 (I haven't got complete results)

Wardle 2006 115
    1986 271

Coniston 2006 177
    1986 509!!

Fairfield 2006 251
    1986 383

Saddleworth 2006 39
    1986 161

Lantern Pike 2006 189
    1986 223

Shelf Moor 2006 53
    1986 85

And here's another couple of random stats:

Pendleton 2006 106
    1985 230

Hameldon Hill 2006 112
    1987 436

Shelf Moor numbers were way down last year because it clashed with relays, but you made the point!!!

Definitely a boom where the ladies are concerned - thank you Paula and Kelly - the Ovett and Coe-ish of the 2000s.

Success breeds success and aspiration.

I think the net is a factor - now we can check who and how many have entered and panic that we won't get in. Hasn't the forum created an extra level of camaraderie? A bit like an expanded pack run mentality on club nights?

Oh and I blame Lazy Town - what a show! I never realised it encouraged fitness, but apparently fruit and veg sales increased 26% in Iceland and childhood obesity is down 16% - Bang bang!

maybe also being able to enter via the internet has something to do with it rather than sending off cheques and SAEs - it would be interesting to see the actual numbers of people who run the races - would not surprise me if some have a bigger % of no shows

I think some of the mystery has been taken out of fell running and it seems much more accessible to newcomers. Other threads mention people running Mickledon etc as a first fell race which must take some confidence and encouragement perhaps gained from this forum, magazines etc. Ten years ago I was much too apprehensive to enter these races and started with the local village gala events before progressing (still running towards the back, just longer races).

I remember climbing going through a similar boom period for similar reasons (and it probably still is, I just don't do it any more), Indoor walls must have had an impact as well, has the current health club craze made running more popular?