Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Runs in Leicester

Training Runs in Leicester

I will be working in Leicester for several months from mid June and was wondering if anyone knows any routes (obviously fairly flat) that I can run whilst there. I will be staying in a hotel in the Braunstone Town area, just off J21 of the M1. I've had a look at a 1:50k map and there seems to be a few paths around the area to the east of the M1 but would be interested in any suggestions. I'm just coming back from months of injury so I need to get some sort of fitness (and weight loss) back.
    Joe Satriani Rocks

Re: Training Runs in Leicester

Some great off road routes around Bradgate Park (next to beautiful Newtown Linford), Charnwood, Beacon Hill etc.
    North-East Leicester near to Groby.
    But mind the stags!
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Nice avatar!

I picked up the route below a while back from the Tracklogs website. I never got round to going over to running it, but it seems to take in most of the bits that clive mentions. The route shown is about 13 miles, although it looks like there are plenty of cut off points.

Map

There's also the Charnock Hill race over there, although I've no idea where the route goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Some great off road routes around Bradgate Park (next to beautiful Newtown Linford), Charnwood, Beacon Hill etc.
    North-East Leicester near to Groby.
    But mind the stags!
    Apols, meant North West Leicester. D'oh!
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Recommendations look good - you can also try heading out a little more easterly to the Desford / Thornton area - which you could either run to and make a long run of, or drive to in 5 - 10 mins.

There are loads of roads around there that are quiet, country lanes with few vehicles, and the countryside is very pleasant.

I cut through that way quite regulalry.

Thanks all. Bradgate Country Park is only a short drive from where I'll be staying and good parking. I'll have a look when I go to Leicester.
    Joe Satriani Rocks

...and you could contact my good friend Steve Cliff (see Anniversary Waltz fell race in April for details), who lives near Leicester.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by Strat O'Caster View Post
    Thanks all. Bradgate Country Park is only a short drive from where I'll be staying and good parking. I'll have a look when I go to Leicester.
    You'll love Braggie.
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Hi Strat

Sorry I have just seen this or I would have replied earlier.
    I grew up in Leicester and my family still live there. There are 3 Leicester clubs nearish you. I have run with them all and they are all friendly and cater for different abilities with different groups going out on every run.

The West End Runners who meet on a wednesday do some fell races. They mainly train road routes but often run up to Braunstone Park near where you will be staying. The clubhouse is about 2 - 3 miles from you.

http://www.westendrunners.ukgateway.net/

There is also the Beaumont runners who meet at Bradgate park (site of the "hill" in Leicester's only fell race - takes place in feb) in the summer on a mon and I think thurs. I ran round Bradgate and Swithland woods with them Monday gone.

Then there are the Leicester Owls who meet on Tuesdays in Wigston (bout 4-5 miles from you), they do occasional fell race and travel up to Mythomroyd area (your neck of the woods) to do the 3 day midsummer madness series in June, if you go along you will recognise them as they have Newcastle black and white style stripes similar to Chorley, but with a Leicester Owls logo. They also have track sessions etc on a thurs.

http://owlsac.org.uk/

I think most of them do longer weekend runs, often off road. Essentially you can run everyday of the week with a club except Friday. There are other Leicester clubs further out in the county and also it was mentioned to me on Monday that there is an ad hoc fell club, but I got the impression they travel to racers rather than meet and train.

You need any further info PM me.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Hi again Strat.

Sorry Mythomroyd is nowhere near you as you are in Cleveland. I was looking at Clive's Hebden Bridge location.