Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Kinder Trog

Ah ya, know exactly where you mean. As you say if you had not gone down that long straight hill and turned right instead you would not have been so bad. Bit of a gutter you were so close to the end when you went wrong.
    For miles last year I had a right battle with a young lady, I was faster on the climbs but she was faster on the downhills. On the long descent from big stone she had to keep stopping as she was unsure of where to go as I cought up I was shouting out directions to her. She beat me by quite a bit in the end.

Nice to lose my "navigational cockup" virginity without it being too serious though ...!

Plenty to build on for next year, if I can avoid going wrong, and hopefully shave some running time off with some more experience and endurance, could be looking at a decent time...

bump for Sunday

4 months since my last fell race and (whisper it softly) I will be turning out for this one...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Good luck Daz it's an enjoyable race. The run up Mill Hill and onto Kinder seems to take an age, even more so in the mist....

Looking to recce this, probably tomorrow.

Any tips on where to park - I don't know Hayfield at all but the OS gives a car park in town centre just S. of bridge?
    Scratch that, I can see on StreetView it's the car park that my daughter ended up in after one DofE. Looks fine

Route advice - looks like (on the map on the Hayfield website)the route off Edale Cross is not a marked path - follow walls to stream junction, then strike almost due S. up to the path running W. to South Head.

Alternatives look like a loop around towards Brown Knoll(path) or all the way down Oaken Clough and then up Dimpus Clough- is there a check point around South Head?

Thanks,
    Last edited by drmorris; 26-04-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

You can usually park for free on Valley Road along which the Downfall race finishes just before heading into the park.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Park on the road where the scout hut is and you are straight at the start of the Trog route.

Quote Originally Posted by drmorris View Post

Any tips on where to park - I don't know Hayfield at all but the OS gives a car park in town centre just S. of bridge?

Route advice - looks like (on the map on the Hayfield website)the route off Edale Cross is not a marked path - follow walls to stream junction, then strike almost due S. up to the path running W. to South Head.

Alternatives look like a loop around towards Brown Knoll(path) or all the way down Oaken Clough and then up Dimpus Clough- is there a check point around South Head?

Thanks,
    When you get to Edale Cross, go straight ahead over the track and follow the broken down wall. As the old wall starts to bear right you will see a trod over the wall leading down to the valley.At the bottom of the hill cross the stream, then go up the hill until you reach a stile.

Quote Originally Posted by drmorris View Post

Scratch that, I can see on StreetView it's the car park that my daughter ended up in after one DofE. Looks fine

Thanks,
    There's a checkpoint at the stream junction below Edale Cross (pretty reliable water source here). When Lloyd set the current course record he went to the top of South Head by mistake! The next checkpoint is at Peep O'Day I think. However, follow William Clough's route description and you'll be fine.

Something came up and I had to skip the recce today.
    Thanks all for advice. Will be up there next opportunity
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/