Thread: Rhinns of Kell/Bruce's Crown

Rhinns of Kell/Bruce's Crown

Does anyone know if this is still run as an event?
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Re: Rhinns of Kell/Bruce's Cro

Hi Alf [you stole my identity by the way, but I'll forgive you if you let me have your fish supper!]

So far as I know this hasnt been run as a race since 2004 and there dont appear to be any plans to resurect it. just found an earlier message (March 08) from Yiannis which said:

"Bruce's Crown (Rings of Fire) is not running this year. The previous organiser, Colin Butler, tells me that he cannot organise it again and no-one else has come forward to take his place."

If you are looking for a long distance challenge in this area you could always try the Donalds round. Here's the official entry in the SHR register of long distance records:

Donalds (Ayrshire & Galloway)

This is a superb and very rough 70 mile (18,500 feet of ascent) expedition across the Carsphairn and Galloway hill ranges, peak to peak, from Blackcraig Hill to Knee of Cairnsmore (Fleet). Paced by a goodly assortment of Donald aficionados, Glyn Jones beat the 24-hour barrier in mid May 1998 with a time of 23 hours 45 mins [Ref. FR 6/98]. The route takes in 36 Donald hills; thus this is presumably the 24-hour Donald record (though not a circular route). For those wishing to indulge in a 24-hour Donald-bagging frenzy, the Moffat and Ettrick groups also offer 36 tops to go for in a much more compact group with easier terrain than the Galloway tussocks...and with the possibility of extension into the Manor Hills.......

All the best

Malcolm
    Last edited by Malky; 02-06-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Cheers Malcolm
    By the way,if you want this identity, you'll have to run and get it off me lol
    Generally going nowhere fast.

For the record, Bruce's crown was run two years ago as part of the Montrail long distance series and was well attended. Shame it is not on again.
    Yiannis

Is there still no sign of this being resurected!? I did the 'short' race a fair few years ago with the idea of going on to do the long, but never got round to the long! It was tough....tho' I probably wasnt fit! The route was very wild and off the beaten track. Very very tussocky as I recall! I was last runner to finish (there was awlker behind me!) in 11 hours!!! :0