Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broxap 24 hour Munros Round

Fellhound

Re: Broxap 24 hour Munros Roun

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    ...Doing 32 is mighty difficult....
    Whereas doing 30 or 31 is a piece of p...

The Glen Shiel 31 Munro route also includes quite a few extra tops.

There are 11 Munro tops (or Murdos) that have to be climbed, or can only be very narrowly avoided en route.
    And there's a Corbett on the south Glen Shiel ridge that puts in an extra climb.

The stats for the route are pretty mind-boggling...

By my calcs it's around 75 miles with 39,000ft of ascent.
    Although I haven't worked out the ascent very accurately yet.

Having spent some time recceing in Glen Affric last week I think it's the amount of ascent which is a daunting feature of this round. There are just a lot of big steep climbs - getting back up onto the Five Sisters ridge after the Saddle looks hard work; then there are plenty more climbs between 300m and 700m between there and the finish.

There is plenty of pretty good terrain underfoot though - perhaps one aspect of these hills which is more amenable than an extended Ramsey round.

Having said that I'm glad I'm only doing 2 legs...

In no way seeking to detract from what has been done in the past, or for that matter what is about to be attempted - I have full admiration for such levels of fitness, stamina & tenacity; but surely one fly in the ointment is that over the years the Munro Tables keep being tampered with. I can remember, several years ago now, that Jon Broxap himself posted an article in the FRM pointing out that an intervening change in the Munro Tables had elevated a 'Murdo' that he covered on his 28 Munro round and that one of the Munros on Martin Stone's 26 Munro round had been demoted. Thus by the "new" Munro Tables:- Jon's is a 29 Munro round (hence Spyke going for 30, I guess) and Martin's is a 25 Munro round?
    For my own peak bagging purposes, I have now turned my back on the Munro Tables and look to Alan Dawson's "Relative Hills of Britain" - the "Marilyns" - summits with 150m of clear ascent all round. In Scotland, I now bag "Marilyns" whose summits are 3000 plus feet above sea-level.
    Yes, from now on I'm only going up Marilyn Munros!
    But, all joking aside, a record attempt that only covered hills of Marilyn Munro status would possess a truly definitive criteria that could not be tampered with, and could stand apart from the current Munro record.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 06-06-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Fellhound

Good point WD.

ChrisU and I have had similar ideas with regard to a 24-hour Marilyn round but the route discussed wasn't exclusively 'Marilyn Munros' but also included Marilyn Corbetts (still at least 150m ascent each though)

Trundler, I meant that 32 is (close to) impossible due to a disproportinate increase in the distance after 31.
    Compo, Getting up to Sgurr Fhuaran (5 Sisters) is the biggest climb in the challenge, about 1050m in total!
    Ian (WD), Adrian Belton like John Broxap did 28 to start with. Then Adrian lost one (Sgurr an Iubhair) and John gained one (Sgurr na Carnach) and was lucky in that he was not able to bypass it in the first instance.

Having checked the maps for a Corbett record I have come up with a route including a maximum of 16 in one group and the statistics are similar to that of the 31 munro round.

Yiannis

Fellhound

Sorry Yiannis, I knew what you meant

Regarding Corbett rounds, ChrisU might be willing to let you have sight of his Marilyns round (a mixture of Corbetts and Munros) if you ask him nicely... then again he might be keeping it close to his chest...

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Having checked the maps for a Corbett record I have come up with a route including a maximum of 16 in one group and the statistics are similar to that of the 31 munro round.
    Yiannis
    Has anyone done a combined Munro/Corbet round?

After all the Lake District 24 hour record includes much lower tops why not in Scotland
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Sorry Yiannis, I knew what you meant

Regarding Corbett rounds, ChrisU might be willing to let you have sight of his Marilyns round (a mixture of Corbetts and Munros) if you ask him nicely... then again he might be keeping it close to his chest...
    Great minds think alike
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    The Glen Shiel 31 Munro route also includes quite a few extra tops.

There are 11 Munro tops (or Murdos) that have to be climbed, or can only be very narrowly avoided en route.
    And there's a Corbett on the south Glen Shiel ridge that puts in an extra climb.

The stats for the route are pretty mind-boggling...

By my calcs it's around 75 miles with 39,000ft of ascent.
    Although I haven't worked out the ascent very accurately yet.
    I reckon map packages underestimate distance and over estimate ascent. for example on the first leg,counting contours results in 1800m ascent rather than 2000.

are you helping chris - any particular section?