Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Litter -Duddon

Litter -Duddon

Seemed to be a good deal of rubbish being dropped on the Duddon compared to most races where there's none, (maybe my appalling performance meant I was far enough back to see it).

Empty gels were the main issue, and particularly "Go" gels, folk appear to rip the top off and drop it even if they replace the main bit in their bum bag. I know it's possible to avoid this, there's no excuse. I hope we don't go the same way as the cyclists, you could find your way round the Fred Whitton or the Cyclo-X 3 peaks by following the gel trail. Once all you saw was an occasional jelly baby which would at least dissolve away.

Rats, posted twice in failed attempt to edit title (the Duddon isn't rubbish!) How do you delete a spare thread?
    Last edited by No Whistle; 05-06-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: posted twice

Re: Litter -Duddon

Did you think so No Whistle? I too had an appalling run and was limping along at the back and I didn't see too much. Did pick up a couple of the gel tops though - you're right about that. Is it that people are dropping them on purpose? I'm not sure. I know from experience that, with them being small and a bit sticky, you can think you've got them into a pocket etc, but they can miss. Mind you, I did see a WHOLE banana in the grass
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I'd have eaten a whole banana if I'd seen it. If they redesigned the gel sachet it would sort it, it's small rubbish but it's still there for many years to come.

And it was a good deal compared to the usual "none".

Quote Originally Posted by No Whistle View Post
    If they redesigned the gel sachet it would sort it, it's small rubbish but it's still there for many years to come.

They do NOT need to redesign the Go gel sachet. It is VERY easy to rip the top 'tab' open WITHOUT detatching it from the sachet containing the gel itself.

I ran the Duddon. I used four Go gels and every one was returned to my bum bag empty.

I did, however, drop the head from one of my jelly babies. It was a real shame, but at least it wasn't the black one. They are my favourites and I'd have probably gone back for it otherwise...
    Last edited by theNoor; 05-06-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: An argument looks weak when you spell 'redesign' incorrectly i.e. redseign
    Why walk when you can run.

FellMonster

I saw young fleet FLEETER abandon a washing machine at the foot of Great Gable during a borrowdale recce...honest guvnor

I strongly feel that any litter, even a banana skin, shouldn't be dropped during a fell race...but I'm afraid that we 'ave a new generation of folk out there that don't see litter as a problem.
    There's a lot more runners on the fells these days and in some ways it's spoilin t'job. Last thing we need is to give farmers, landowners 'n other users of the fells more ammunition to fire at us.
    Mebee theffarray (FRA) should include a new rule where every long race (where food tends to be carried) must have a sweeper at the rear of the bunch (as in the 3Peaks this year)...the sweepers role not only to check fo' runners' safety but to collect the litter dropped by the MINORITY.
    As much as I enjoy viewing cycle racin ont'elly it does annoy me to see the professional riders throwing all their unwanted items into the verge.
    Don't lets start the same in fell runnin.

YOU BROUGHT IT WI' THI...YOU TEK IT 'OME WI' THI!

p'raps it's the fell ponies thatter depositing their crap all oer t'fells...I've seen th'evidence on th'owgills!

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I saw young fleet FLEETER abandon a washing machine at the foot of Great Gable during a borrowdale recce...honest guvnor
    I told him he should leave it with my fridge at Seathwaite. What's a few CFCs amongst friends?

Didn't see any litter at all at Duddon, so it must have been me ('cept I don't use gels. Sure AK had a stash though).
    It's definitely not up to the organiser or sweeper to collect other people's crap. Fell racing is an individual's responsibility (safety, litter, the lot) and that needs hammering into folk (possibly literally). Keep the fells tidy and put your crap in Fleeter's washing machine

[QUOTE=theNoor;133667]They do NOT need to redesign the Go gel sachet. It is VERY easy to rip the top 'tab' open WITHOUT detatching it from the sachet containing the gel itself.

I did say that to start with, but it is also clear that there are plebs about who can't manage that simple task. I blame the gel generation (he says ducking for cover quickly )

Detach or not-detach - that's not the issue. Whichever you do is personal choice but it's still NOT ok to drop litter. So don't get having a go at those of us who do detach

Wharfeego, you might be onto something there, although you generalise greatly. When you see road races on the telly and the bottles and rubbish strewn all over the floor for miles, is it any wonder that some may cross over onto the fells and think it's ok there? Running at the London Marathon must have been as tricky and uneven as the top of Scafell Pike judging from all the bottles just thrown under peoples' feet.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog