Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Litter -Duddon

Master and MR

Re: Litter -Duddon

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I saw young fleet FLEETER abandon a washing machine at the foot of Great Gable during a borrowdale recce...honest guvnor

fellmonster that wasnt a washer it was a birdybox

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    p'raps it's the fell ponies thatter depositing their crap all oer t'fells...I've seen th'evidence on th'owgills!
    Not this pony, drilled into me since army days you don't leave crap in the country side, enemy can track you, you even bag your own sh!t and carry it in your bergen Didn't see much litter on the Duddon, only risked opening one eye on the downhills, just managed to open two at the finish line
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Running at the London Marathon must have been as tricky and uneven as the top of Scafell Pike judging from all the bottles just thrown under peoples' feet.
    I can confirm that it was like running a bloody gauntlet getting over them bottles, I tried to throw mine well clear but succeeded in splashing a spectator whoops. I wouldn't dream of doing it on the fells though.

Maybe it needs to be stipulated on the entry forms that your mum ain't there to clean up after you or a sweeper ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    Maybe it needs to be stipulated on the entry forms that your mum ain't there to clean up after you or a sweeper ?!!
    God forbid Donkarlo. Everyone should be aware. It's in the Fellrunner. It's on here. It should be bleedin' obvious anyway. But perhaps Wharfeego is right, perhaps there are new runners coming across to our sport who don't have the proper respect for the mountains? It would be very unfair to generalise and tar them all with the same brush however.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I saw young fleet FLEETER abandon a washing machine at the foot of Great Gable during a borrowdale recce...honest guvnor
    you haven't found the TV on scafell yet then?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    I once dropped a WW2 bomber on the moon, it made the front page of the Sunday Sport I was thoroughly ashamed of this one off litter dropping episode
    Hills and Guinness!

Followed a Rossendale runner (remember?...Pete?) int'Borrodale (1989) 'n 'e wer droppin toffee papers as 'e ran along t'EskHause...I daren't say owt in them days coz I wer nobbut a yung bugga...'n that worra long time ago...so I guess it's always gone on to a degree.

Just fo' record...I did a 3.36.14 that year...longest race I'd ever done (started runnin in '87) 'n I didn't 'ave a drink or a bite all t'way round. Mind...that wasn't on purpose...neet before I'd gone up Sty'ead 'n stashed a drink bottle containin a mixture o' ribena/lemon barley watter 'n watter 'n salt...if tha can imagine a thick syrup that tasted shite (s'pose that's wot gels are?...never tried a gel to this day)...suffice t'say I carried an empty bottle 'round fo' rest o' race. Total naivety that got me 'round that day.

I've never got under 4 'ours since...even wi' plenty o' snap in mi arse bag!

Last time I ran up Scafell I took our old double mattress to nonchantly drop off while nobody was looking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post

Wharfeego, you might be onto something there, although you generalise greatly. When you see road races on the telly and the bottles and rubbish strewn all over the floor for miles, is it any wonder that some may cross over onto the fells and think it's ok there?
    You've both hit on something there. It is often quite acceptable in a road race to grab a drink, drink it, then throw the cup on the floor. People in these events KNOW someone is coming around after to collect the rubbish.

But if you did have a sweeper collecting litter then it would send out the message that it was OK to dump it because someone would come around and clear it up.

I'd really like to see people "grassed up" and booted out of races for knowingly dropping litter. I have to say I have NEVER seen anyone drop any litter in a race. I'd have a go at them if they did, just as I'd expect anyone of us would.
    Why walk when you can run.

I thought that lass up there had rather large hands Is that why Fellmonster went back "looking for his dog"