Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: London to Brighton

Fellhound

Re: London to Brighton

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    ...I have 4 months in which to get myself sorted, so got a bit of experimentation time...
    Since you are doing lots of long training runs I'd just take note of what you fancy when you are really tired and aim to have that available on the day.

On ultra distance efforts I think you just need to eat: it sounds obvious but the thing is it's often not easy to eat so whatever you CAN eat is the ticket - whatever it is!

Drinking High5 is a good way to get extra carbo-calories in easily but eating pork pies, donuts, boiled potatos etc is also fine I reckon.

I remember a cup of tea and a ham butty going down very well before South Barrule in the Manx Mountain Marathon one year

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Since you are doing lots of long training runs I'd just take note of what you fancy when you are really tired and aim to have that available on the day.

On ultra distance efforts I think you just need to eat: it sounds obvious but the thing is it's often not easy to eat so whatever you CAN eat is the ticket - whatever it is!

Drinking High5 is a good way to get extra carbo-calories in easily but eating pork pies, donuts, boiled potatos etc is also fine I reckon.

I remember a cup of tea and a ham butty going down very well before South Barrule in the Manx Mountain Marathon one year
    Agree with this Trundler. I think main thing on long days out is to eat and to eat 'proper' solid food - cake, sandwiches, pies, biscuits whatever. Hot soup is good too Good point about having something you really like too

I've done five London to Brightons - only thing I took was lemon drink with sugar and salt in it and liquid glucose. - Worked a treat!

May i suggest roast potatoes. Salt them well . Great form of carbs also roasted veg are a nice change.
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Thanks all for the cracking advice. I shall be experimenting wildly - I do love the sound of roast tatties, especially roasted in goose fat <drools>

What I'm finding works these days is to just regularly eat kiddies sweets (you don't have to steal them from kids, you can buy them from Morrisons too). Things like Rowntrees Juicy Jellies and Haribo Tangfastics. I find I can eat this sort of stuff however tired I'm feeling. I did the LAMM elite this weekend with someone who had gels and proper mountain food (oat bars etc.) and at the end of both days he was scrounging the last of my sweets (after running out of energy). My sweets weighed loads less too (less than one packet a day).

I guess that not many people will agree with my nutrition choices, but it works for me.

Hi 5 is also very good.

I think you should also eat any high carbohydrate food that is offered on the way round: calories you don't have to carry are the best.

Worth mentioning that Zlod is quite 'quick and fit'. Hardly surprising his partner ran out of energy trying to keep up with him .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I know I'm only a walker, which isn't quite the same thing, but on my first 50 earlier this year, Molehill dinned into me the importance of eating, eating, eating - and drinking. I got round on maltloaf with butter and marmalade, and when my stomach cramped,I think after too many apricots, i was saved at the last checkpoint by having an instant soup made for me - lucky I was carrying one! Also always carry mini Cheddars on a long walk. So I go along with the sweet then savoury, probably one of our Docs can give us a scientific explanation for this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Missus View Post
    I know I'm only a walker, which isn't quite the same thing, but on my first 50 earlier this year, Molehill dinned into me the importance of eating, eating, eating - and drinking. I got round on maltloaf with butter and marmalade, and when my stomach cramped,I think after too many apricots, i was saved at the last checkpoint by having an instant soup made for me - lucky I was carrying one! Also always carry mini Cheddars on a long walk. So I go along with the sweet then savoury, probably one of our Docs can give us a scientific explanation for this.

Ohhh, malt loaf - I love that.

<adds to list>

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Ohhh, malt loaf - I love that.

<adds to list>
    I find malt loaf good too, but I spread a big dollop of butter, then marmite on both slices and a slurp of marmalade in the middle as well. Kind of covers all possible tastes - if you can stomach it.

The Missus hasn't reached this stage yet
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.