Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knee pain

knee pain

I went out for a run on Saturday and all the way round I could feel my right foot pronating pretty badly, after 7 miles I got a really sharp pain just below my knee / top of the shin?

I had to walk the last couple of miles. When I got home and took the shoes off you could see the right shoe had lost all it's shape from the pronating.

Sunday I went for a long walk in the lakes, the knee didn't give me much problem apart from when ascending, no problems going down hill?

The pain seems to get worse if I bend over?

Any ideas?

Re: knee pain

If you were overpronating you would have been putting more stress on the inside of your knee - probably the medial collateral ligament bore the brunt of it.
    When you say the pain is worse when you bend over do you mean squatting down or bending forwards?
    I take it you have now binned the offending shoes!
    Treatment wise - are you icing it?
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

Quote Originally Posted by janeho View Post
    If you were overpronating you would have been putting more stress on the inside of your knee - probably the medial collateral ligament bore the brunt of it.
    When you say the pain is worse when you bend over do you mean squatting down or bending forwards?
    I take it you have now binned the offending shoes!
    Treatment wise - are you icing it?
    Yes when I'm bending forward the pain seems to come. There's not pain there all the time, but I have been icing it regular.

I cycled to work yesterday, 26 mile round trip and it was fine apart from the last couple of miles coming home.

Just been having a look round on the internet and it sounds like patella tendonitis?

Sorry - for some reason I'd read your post as the pain been on the inside of your knee. Don't know where I got that one from.
    Yes the tendon that goes from the bottom of your knee cap at the front of your leg is the patella tendon.
    I still say ice at this stage though!!!
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

Quote Originally Posted by janeho View Post
    Sorry - for some reason I'd read your post as the pain been on the inside of your knee. Don't know where I got that one from.
    Yes the tendon that goes from the bottom of your knee cap at the front of your leg is the patella tendon.
    I still say ice at this stage though!!!
    Thanks, been icing it before work and when I get in, then before bed.

How long before I should give it a run?

Would I be ok to cycle?

I would give it another week before to try a small run again. If the pain returns then i would see a sports podiatrist. When the foot pronates excessively it causes the tibia to internall rotate which can pull and twist the patella tendon- which sounds like your injury! further more you may have some lowerl limb muscle in balances that put further stress on your knee. The problem with fell running is the up and down running causes extra flexion at te knee which aggrevates this problem.

Hope all goes well

Feet in the Cowclaps

Hopey, how did you get this sorted and how long did it take?
    I think I may have come down with something very similar.

It's still not sorted really, I just have to be really careful when training and not do too much. Not any further than 8 miles at a time seems to have helped.
    Also I've been rubbing Volatrol Emugel P on the area which seems to have helped.

Sorry I can't really help any more.

Just remembered a couple of other things, I had myself measured up against my bike and it turned out that my seat was far to high and a friend of forum told me I was pushing the gears too much and I needed to 'spin' more when riding.

Also I stopped doing all my training runs in fell shoes and now use a trail shoe, inov-8 295s just so I have a little bit more stability.

So one of these has helped me get out running, but not sure if it's one thing or the lot combined.

Hope this helps.