Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The LAMM, and why is the midge

The LAMM, and why is the midge

Having just survived the LAMM in Glenfinnan this weekend I used up some useless work time reading about the dreaded Highland Midge. After reading about the where and when bit I finally found WHY they are here at all.

"The midges serve a useful purpose in controlling the role and impact of man in Scotland" (undiscovered scotland website).

On this environmental note surely Scotland has a fabulous natural resource they could be exporting?

Re: The LAMM, and why is the m

Never mind the midges, the ticks were everywhere too. I have removed 15+ since getting back and just keep finding them - 2 more today.

Superb event - testing route decisions, great mountains, great views from the ridges.

You're right about the ticks, thought I'd found them all on Sunday, but managed to find another 5 last night. Hopefully they'll be none when I check tonight.

Having said that thought it was a fantastic event, amazing scenery and great weather.

Don't know about Scotland for midges - I got bitten waiting for the start at Threshfield on Saturday. Hungry little things!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandini View Post
    You're right about the ticks, thought I'd found them all on Sunday, but managed to find another 5 last night. Hopefully they'll be none when I check tonight.

Having said that thought it was a fantastic event, amazing scenery and great weather.
    Brings back memories of Jura LAMM when I had the task of removing 30 plus ticks from my partners body..........his missus found quite a few more in the places only she dared explore

Now you've got me worried, I haven't noticed any ticks at all! I don't think Bill got any either. Hundreds of little red spots on my legs even with Avon SSS liberally splashed all over though.

Quote Originally Posted by John4of5 View Post
    Now you've got me worried, I haven't noticed any ticks at all! I don't think Bill got any either. Hundreds of little red spots on my legs even with Avon SSS liberally splashed all over though.
    Good route choice then
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

them as geet tick bites...get theesens checked owt fo' Lyme's disease... seriously!

www.cieh.org/ehp
    Last edited by wharfeego; 13-06-2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: public service announcement

Ticks seem to be the biggest problem this year. Backpacked into Knoydart for a few days and got covered in them Seems like it's only going to get worse as winter temps increase.

Had a wee bit of a scare a couple of years ago when I had some flu-like symptoms after having had a few ticks on me....got very quickly referred to the "Tropical Diseases" department at the local hospital! Pleased to say all the tests came back negative.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

The midge certainly works in keeping man from Scotland.

I used some stuff which was 95% Deet and killed all the midges that touched me. There must have been over 100 dead midges on my arm in the few minutes it took me to mark up the map on day 1.

As for ticks ~ never saw any. Maybe this Deet stuff kept them at bay as well. Might have another check tonight though.........just in case
    See the light in the night