Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piriform Trigger Point Injury

Piriform Trigger Point Injury

I wonder if anyone can help with this one.

For the last couple of months I have had a very tender/sore area deep inside the right glute - just where the top of the hamstring connects with the base of the pelvic girdle. I believe this may be called a 'trigger point' and is apparently a fairly common running injury. It is aggravated by running and, although uncomfortable has never stopped me training/racing.

My question is this - is it self=treatable or do I need to go to a physio?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved

MH

p.s. What ever happened to the physio guy on the old forum? - the one who kept plugging his own products - is he still around? - I could do with a free sample

Re: Piriform Trigger Point Inj

MH,

I suffer from this intermittently.

Lie on a tennis ball and move your bum around until you're on the 'spot' - you'll know when!

Relax your weight on to the ball applying pressure to the trigger point. This helps to free the tight muscle.

Cheers, Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    MH,

I suffer from this intermittently.

Lie on a tennis ball and move your bum around until you're on the 'spot' - you'll know when!

Relax your weight on to the ball applying pressure to the trigger point. This helps to free the tight muscle.

Cheers, Ali.
    Thanks Ali,

Is one 'treatment' likely to cure it or will I need to do this several times over a period of days or weeks?

Banned

MH I have suffered the same and had a spell at the physio.

I find siting on the tennis ball in the car to work and back, as well as the stretching shown on the links does the trick. (5 x 30 sec on back rignt knee to left shoulder)

You also need to look deeper in to the cause, mine is poor movement in the right knee (old injury) so that what I also have to work on.

I have also read that bare foot running can help, but I have yet to try this.

http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=4220
    http://www.tailored-fitness-home-wor..._syndrome.html
    http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c.../sciaex06.html

I hope this is helpful MH, it took 2 to 4 week to start working but cycling and exercise trampet was ok to keep fitness work up.

Stagger

I suffer from this and I get my girlfriend to trigger point it.

Basically I lie on my side and she digs her elbow into where the problem is, she has to put all her weight on it and it hurts like hell, but after a couple of minutes the pain starts to ease.

It's helped me out a lot.

All good advice - thanks guys.

I'm currently at work and have been sitting on a coffee mug, rolling backwards and forwards on the area. Getting some strange looks as I cry out in pain but at least the pain is easing off when I stop

MH

I think I might have had this at the end of last week, brought on by a bout of sprinting round a sharp bend! I got my fella to do the elbow trick, worried about it all day Saturday, and then went a did a 10mile race Sunday and it completely disappeared. This was then replaced by a sharp achey sort of pain over the outside hip (trochanter), which I worried about all day yesterday - 8 mile run today and that's completely gone!!

I'm sure this goes against all sensible advice. How has that happened?

Reckon it might periodically come back to haunt me occasionally though. I've had cramp there in the past after long steep inclines, which has disappeared once I've been able to get running again.

I hope you'll find such an agreeable cure too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hare View Post
    I wonder if anyone can help with this one.

For the last couple of months I have had a very tender/sore area deep inside the right glute - just where the top of the hamstring connects with the base of the pelvic girdle. I believe this may be called a 'trigger point' and is apparently a fairly common running injury. It is aggravated by running and, although uncomfortable has never stopped me training/racing.

My question is this - is it self=treatable or do I need to go to a physio?
    MH

Had the same thing last summer, it didnt stop me running or doing loads of races but was pretty uncomfortable at times.

Eventually I saw a chiropractor, he said there were some misalignment in my pelvis and consequently spine, which he dealt with in about 4 sessions. The pain didn't really go though untill I invested in orthotics and more importantly, in my opinion, I started a regime of stretching and strengthening my glutes, hamstrings, lower back and calves. Add to this some core stability stuff and last weekend I knocked 1min 30 off 10k pb, I have been up to 70 miles PW with zero pain in the glute.

I can't say which of the treatments cured me as they were all happening simultaneously but I am sure the strength stuff is important.

Good luck,

Glass Ankles
    Smile on the way up, scream on the way down!

Cheers GA,

More good advice.

Congrats on the 10k PB - the more running I do the more convinced I become that core strength and stability are vital both to avoid injury and to improve power on hills etc.

I'll keep stretching and strengthening and try to avoid shelling out any 'hard-earned' on professional help just yet...

MH

ive been having this problem for the past 6 weeks or so, finally went to see a sports physio and he says its due to a trapped/agrivated nerve in my lumber regoin of the back, ive just been advised to do lumber roll stretches and core stability to try and stretch the muscles around the affected part of the spine to free up the nerve.

the reason i get the pain/deeep deep achey feeling in the butt/hammy/calf is because those are the muscles that activate the particular nerve that is trapped

advised not to do any impact exercise i.e running,,,,not sure how long i can keep that up for though!! get so bored just doing weights and cycling.

bring on the hills!!!
    pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.