Thread: Doug Morris

Doug Morris

A permanent memorial to one of Shropshire’s best known athletes is to be created at the site of one of his favourite race venues.

Doug Morris, who died last year, organised running events across Shropshire and north Wales, including the hugely popular Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon.

Runners who knew Doug, are now getting together to launch an appeal to buy a bench to be sited somewhere on the shores of the lake - the scene of 20 half marathons and earlier marathons.

A special bank account has been created, the Doug Morris Appeal, and those who knew the veteran runner are being urged to contribute.

Any money left over after the bench has been put in place will go to the Oswestry Olympians running club to fund their
    new running track for athletes.

Doug Morris, 75, collapsed and died while out training in August. He was not only a top runner himself, but inspired and encouraged thousands to take up and enjoy the sport.

A spokesman for the Doug Morris Appeal, said the memorial appeal was being launched with the support of Mr Morris’ wife, Margaret, and their family.
    “Lake Vyrnwy was one of Doug’s favourite races and seems the appropriate spot for a bench in his name to be sited,” the spokesman said.

“Doug was an inspiration to a whole generation of Shropshire and Welsh runners. His untimely death was a devastating blow not only to his family, but also to his running club, The Oswestry Olympians, to his many friends in the athletics world and to the thousands of runners who ran in the many races that he and his wife, Margaret, organised.

“Doug's memory will be carried by so many for so many years to come."

He said he expected that runners from across the region would want to contribute to the appeal.

Anyone wishing to contribute to the appeal is urged to send a cheque, payable to The Doug Morris Appeal, c/o Mansion House, Ford, Shrewsbury, SY5 9LZ.

Colin Williamson
    Shropshire Shufflers
    www.shropshire-shufflers.org
    tel 01743 850267

Re: Doug Morris

I ran in a few races that Doug organised. He was a very friendly and personable man who made me feel that I knew him.

Re: Doug Morris

I hear lots of great things about Doug, I do know that at our AGM next week we will probably put aside some money from Helsby Running Club as a donation for this.
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t: