Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BGR Attempt

BGR Attempt

I fancy giving the BGR an attempt this summer and would welcome advice on how to team up with others planning the same. Be great to share advice and possibly support eachother on some of the legs.

I plan to be in the Lakes 27 July to 10 August and possibly odd weekends prior to that.

Does anyone know how I can get hold of a list of attempts?

I am a long distance walker more than a pure runner, very experienced in the Lakes and can cover ground fast, esp uphill. Would welcome any information or advice any of you have.

Many thanks

Paul

Re: BGR Attempt

Much like you, I’m from a Long Distance Walking, mountain walking, biking, road running background and had a long standing ambition to attempt the BGR. Two years ago, I decided to do something about this before I got too old, and used this very forum for the purpose. Now 2 years later, I have just successfully completed the challenge.

While attempts are probably taking place every weekend through May to September, these are very personal in their nature. Aspirants are usually members of running clubs, particularly clubs with a strong fell running contingent, and it is usual to organise your attempt with the help of the club to provide fell & road support. The support that the person has is very much geared towards their own personal requirements and it would not be proper to use another’s attempt and organisation to achieve your own ambitions.

Better is to join a club, which what I did, and it was the best decision that I ever made. Not only in achieving my own goals, but for the sheer enjoyment of what the club has to offer in training, racing and camaraderie.

Now having completed my BGR, I’m looking forward to helping others complete theirs and looking forward to many more years of running both on the fells & road.

Do some web searches for running clubs in your area and make contact with them, or ask the question on this forum. They are a friendly bunch on here – usually.

DB

I was up in the Lake District this last weekend with some runners from my local running club doing a recce for the Joss Naylor Challenge. Our biggest problem is that we're from Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire and so getting in much hill training is a bit difficult!

I'm keen to have a go at the BGR, but it's going to be quite difficult to get a critical mass of runners together from the club to support it. I'd be happy to join forces with anybody else who's in a similar position.

My only other option is to relocate so that I can join a fell running club!

Quote Originally Posted by FenlandFellrunner View Post
    Just do it! You KNOW it makes sense.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I am, give a couple of months...

I was up in the Lake District this last weekend with some runners from my local running club doing a recce for the Joss Naylor Challenge. Our biggest problem is that we're from Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire and so getting in much hill training is a bit difficult!

I'm keen to have a go at the BGR, but it's going to be quite difficult to get a critical mass of runners together from the club to support it. I'd be happy to join forces with anybody else who's in a similar position.

Funnily enough I'm just up the A1 in Peterborough ... and was supporting the first leg of the Joss Naylor on Sunday (John Linley, V60, got round in 16:43, well inside the allotted V60 time). Volunteering to support others' attempts is a good way of building route knowledge and a circle of potential supporters.

I belong to Mercia, although some Dark Peaker will probably point out that they have a strong 24h tradition (which they do).

There's no easy way around the Location issue though. Let's keep in touch re the Joss - I'll PM you.
    Rob

If I'm free I'd happily help support the BG round. Have started supporting rounds recently and it's very sociable and rewarding. As yet have only supported 4 and 5 (going clockwise and not as navigator) although know quite a lot of the terrain that 1 and 2 are on If you are planning your own BG I'd say it's a good way to recce and get to know what goes in to a successful round.

Am thinking off having a go at the BG next year - thought would be a good thing to do for my 40th and if I fail I can always then go for the 42 at 42.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulThistle View Post
    Does anyone know how I can get hold of a list of attempts?

Paul
    To get back to one of the questions, start with Mike Sadula's site: http://www.bobgrahamround.co.uk/, it has schedules and reports.
    Also do a web search and you will find more information and schedules.

Yiannis

I would love to reach my old age having completed the BGR but I dont know if I have the stamina for such an epic feat. After 3 to 4 hours of running/walking the high fells I certainly dont think I could continue for another 20 odd.

However, I am keen to learn the sections and am already very familiar with the Skiddaw/Blencathra section.

I would be keen to get involved in support of a BGR attempt though would stress that it would be for the company and kit carrying rather than navigation or route choices.

Or indeed if anyone is proposing a recce of any section let's know and maybe we can team up.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will contact a few fell running clubs in the first instance and go from there.

If it looks like there is any chance of doing it this year I will get in touch with those who said thay may be interested in teaming up.

Thanks again for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Paul