Thread: cape wrath trail

cape wrath trail

anyone have info on the cape wrath trail? i've ordered guide book from cicerone. is there an existing record for time/days?

Fellhound

Re: cape wrath trail

I confess I've never heard of it (and I wrote Cicerone's guide to the Far North)

are you thinking of walking/running it or part of it? theres the website if youve not already seen it

http://www.capewrathtrail.co.uk/foreward.htm
    Last edited by egor; 17-06-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Fellhound

Well, I'll go t'foot of our stairs...

cicerone guide book called 'north to the cape'. would like to run/trot/walk full route after midgies disappear. saw the web site which has some great route info.

Quote Originally Posted by rossb View Post
    anyone have info on the cape wrath trail? i've ordered guide book from cicerone. is there an existing record for time/days?
    there was an article in the Great Outdoors mag last July. reproduced just for you on't web

Go North, Cape Wrath Trail

I was up that way a few years ago, walked up the coast and only saw one person who was about a mile away. very beautiful and wild.

many thanks for link. any thoughts on how quick route might take?

I must admit to several moments of madness / day dreaming, over a decade ago, when I traced the "West Coast of Scotland Watershed" from Laggan Locks in the Great Glen to Cape Wrath via the E fringes of Knoydart ( All the water on your Left would be flowing to the W coast and all the water on your Right would be flowing to either the E or N coasts ). Absolutely mind boggling! Never did manage to calculate the actual figures. BUT, only around 6 or 7 road crossings in what must be almost Pennine Way mileage plus the ascent (and descent ) of some mega mountains, albeit none of the 4,000's. I have it all in an A4 folder, somewhere, having photo-copied all the info for the relevant big hills from "High Mountains of Britain" & SMC "Corbetts" guide books. Have yet to do anything practical about it - maybe if I get a good early release payout in 3 or 4 years time??

Fellhound

Aye, now thats a PROPER route!

If it is PW distance (say 250 miles) it must have at least 65,000ft of climb - maybe a lot more than that.

Including two weekends, that would give 9 days to complete it in a week's holiday. Something like 27 miles per day with - what - 7500 to 10000 feet of climbing per day? What a great challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I must admit to several moments of madness / day dreaming, over a decade ago, when I traced the "West Coast of Scotland Watershed" from Laggan Locks in the Great Glen to Cape Wrath via the E fringes of Knoydart ( All the water on your Left would be flowing to the W coast and all the water on your Right would be flowing to either the E or N coasts ). Absolutely mind boggling! Never did manage to calculate the actual figures. BUT, only around 6 or 7 road crossings in what must be almost Pennine Way mileage plus the ascent (and descent ) of some mega mountains, albeit none of the 4,000's. I have it all in an A4 folder, somewhere, having photo-copied all the info for the relevant big hills from "High Mountains of Britain" & SMC "Corbetts" guide books. Have yet to do anything practical about it - maybe if I get a good early release payout in 3 or 4 years time??
    I think that Paddy B and Sue Walsh had a go at this some years ago.
    If memory serves, I recall Paddy describing the weather as grim and the attempt being abandonned.