Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of fellrunning

The future of fellrunning

I saw the future of fellrunning at Kettlewell on Sunday and it looks really healthy. The number of kids there was fantastic, and looking at Brett's wonderful photos they all seem to be having a great time.

http://www.photos-dsb.co.uk/Kettlewe...2008/index.htm
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Fellhound

Re: The future of fellrunning

Quite a decent-sized senior field too....

The BOFRA races always amaze me with their vibrant junior scene, which is a bit ironic really, when you consider that one of the reasons put forward for keeping the FRA in the (UKA) "athletics family" is the development of juniors!

The BOFRA events often have a better atmosphere too (in my opinion anyway) - it's friendlier, more traditional.

Wait while tha sees the GrifterWharfeego Kettlewell Production...look out forrit on yoochube in a day or three.
    Some crackin footage (even though I do say so miself!)... in the wind 'n wet... of th'under 17's 'n seniors descending the incredibly slippy steep fellside.

Gud stuff

202 runners in total if my maths is any good.

Hi

The future of fell-running is pretty bright in both "codes". There isn't a real division between FRA and BOFRA at the Junior level, as far as I am concerned.

You are right in saying that the BOFRA races are well attended by Juniors, and that the atmosphere is usually good. The numbers at Kettlewell were certainly healthy.

The FRA Junior champs races have also been incredibly well attended so far:

Anniversary Wa! 218 entrants
    Shutlingsloe 156 entrants
    Stacksteads 140 entrants

These are Junior numbers!

You will find the atmosphere good at these as well, not surprisingly, because many of the juniors turn up to both.

The main comments I get about the differences are that the FRA races are expected to be longer, but not necessarily as steep, as the BOFRA races. I'm not sure that I can prove that this happens at present but will try to organise this more over the next couple of years. If this is the case, then it does give a differentiation, and may allow different runners to win the different championships.

I consider getting well educated and qualified coaches to be key to the development of Juniors. This is where UKA/England Athletics comes in. We are currently finishing the first writing phase of the UKA Level 2 and 3 Coaching Courses for Fell Running. These will be Fell running specific, unlike the current Endurance L2 Course. Politics within UKA has delayed this for some time, but this delay is not unique to fell running. BOFRA, to my knowledge, does not have the funds or structures to support coach development and I would guess any qualified coaches within BOFRA have done UKA courses - although I can't be sure of this. I see this as a perfectly good arrangement where both organisations have different strengths and weaknesses.

Hi Lecky - interesting points as the kids at my club particularly support the FRA Junior Champs.
    Main reason is that we are a track club as well, and the BOFRA calendar is packed in to such a short period, and requires quite a few races, that it is more difficult if you are trying to also have a track season.
    You can see this weekend that the BOFRA race clashed with the County Schools Track and Field Champs, and the U20 Northern Champs, which makes it difficult for juniors on the track.
    The FRA races, by starting in April, being approx 1 per month and taking from the best 4, allow track runners to be involved fully and you can see the quality you get in these races.

But I also agree about the distance - last year my daughter was in the U14 category, where they had a long run at Pendle and Lothersdale in the FRA - and the course at Stacksteads was a similar long course now she is U16.
    Some of the BOFRA ones seem to be quite short - perhaps steeper.

I look forward to the coaching courses being set up - I am UKA Level 2 Endurance and would like to add Fell to my licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    I saw the future of fellrunning at Kettlewell on Sunday and it looks really healthy. The number of kids there was fantastic, and looking at Brett's wonderful photos they all seem to be having a great time.

Great. In the first pictures the lad with the Helm Hill Vest and Walshes looked like he was always going to win but the kid in 2nd is wearing Football Kit and a pair of Total 90 Leather fashion shoes which must bloody hurt running over rough ground!

Graeme

It was very sporting of that little lad to help that fella up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post

They are indeed great photos and its great to see so many kids taking part.

My daughter has been pestering me for a running vest and shorts. God help me if she wants Walshes too!

Its gonna cost me a bloody fortune, i've just put a penny in the piggy bank!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    They are indeed great photos and its great to see so many kids taking part.

My daughter has been pestering me for a running vest and shorts. God help me if she wants Walshes too!

Its gonna cost me a bloody fortune, i've just put a penny in the piggy bank!
    If she joins a club with some fell runners there is a good chance of picking up some free walshes.

At our club we certainly pass them on when the kids grow out of them.