Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The future of fellrunning

Re: The future of fellrunning

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Wait while tha sees the GrifterWharfeego Kettlewell Production...look out forrit on yoochube in a day or three.
    Some crackin footage (even though I do say so miself!)... in the wind 'n wet... of th'under 17's 'n seniors descending the incredibly slippy steep fellside.

Gud stuff
    Part 1 of 4 should be available to see very soon. This is of the u/17s race and Wharfedo is right its probably the best fell running footage ive seen.
    Conditions were very wet and slippy making some remarkable footage.
    The next 3 parts are of the senior race and must have more spills per minute than any over fell race video ive seen. It takes ages to upload but well worth waiting for.

Great to see kids at both events and agree that there is a lot of cross over between kids. (for those who think there is a split between FRA and BOFRA, I think that every Bofra runner also does a good share of FRA races and most belong to the FRA).

Good discussion at Stacksteads about distances. I think that it depends on whether you are setting a course that stretches the top juniors or one that is completeable by a fit youngster.

FRA junior championships are normally very stretching and there are a few dropouts. At Stacksteads for instance my daughter was stretched to the limit by the senior route which was also the U16s. She is 15, a regular fell runner and a club member who trains all year. I believe that 2 girls dropped out of that race.

My personal views are:

1) the courses should be proper fell ie go up and down a hill with no tarmac
    2) current distances are sometimes too far especially for the girls
    3) if in doubt go for a steeper but shorter route
    4) judge a route based on time rather than distance. Bofra timings for the various age groups seem about right and could be used to assess FRA junior champs routes, even if some aren't as steep
    5) try and hold junior champs at fairs/shows or at least alongside a largeish senior race

I did sound out parents at our club and they all felt that some champs races were too long. However I know that some others feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    They are indeed great photos and its great to see so many kids taking part.

My daughter has been pestering me for a running vest and shorts. God help me if she wants Walshes too!

Its gonna cost me a bloody fortune, i've just put a penny in the piggy bank!
    Why don't you apply for some money from the John Taylor Foundation fund? Last time I heard they had a lot of money just waiting to be given out.

Hi Madeleine

I've bookmarked http://www.johntaylorfoundation.org.uk and will have a read later.

Many thanks.

Sinatra

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    ...for those who think there is a split between FRA and BOFRA...,
    I wasn't suggesting theres a "split" but they are two organisations with two seperate race calendars and there are differences in the way they do things.

I think the BOFRA races very often have a different 'feel' to them but it's great to be able to run both. I'm old enough to remember the bad old days when you couldn't run a BOFRA race without fear of losing your "amateur" status and effectively be banned from FRA events! Seems madness now.

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    My personal views are:

1) the courses should be proper fell ie go up and down a hill with no tarmac
    2) current distances are sometimes too far especially for the girls
    3) if in doubt go for a steeper but shorter route
    4) judge a route based on time rather than distance. Bofra timings for the various age groups seem about right and could be used to assess FRA junior champs routes, even if some aren't as steep
    5) try and hold junior champs at fairs/shows or at least alongside a largeish senior race

I did sound out parents at our club and they all felt that some champs races were too long. However I know that some others feel differently.
    Against Point 1 I would say that Rivington is one of my favourite Fell Races and emminently suitable for a Junior Race - even for a Championship race.

I sort of agree with 2. Perhaps the U16 race should have been turned around a little short of the summit at Stacksteads - 1 of the dropouts was 2nd in the Inter Counties U17 Cross Country and I think was more an issue of poor preparation than tough course- hadn't taken on enough liquid beforehand.
    But then you take Shutlingsloe, which was far too easy and I would say too short to be a true test of Fell Running - there was no aspect of fell at all to the U16/U18 race.
    Nice venue - but more like a XC at Astley Park!

Point 3 - Fell Running is associated with up and down hill, but an important aspect is the the running on open moorland - rough ground running. I think as long as their is an element of ascent/descent in there it is fine.

Point 4 - Who's time?

Point 5 - they seem to have managed so far this year and Ingleborough next!

In a way Wycoller, it looks like I disagree - but I don't. In essence I feel that some are too long, and some are too short. But that is a strength of the event and the Championships.
    Some kids flourish in different types of race and in both FRA and BOFRA there is scope to miss the races that are not deemed suitable.
    There is something for everybody of whatever age - and it is this that drew me and my family to fell running a couple of years ago.

Rather like Cross Country where many athletes give Marl Pits a miss - and not just juniors!!!
    Last edited by Witton Park; 19-06-2008 at 03:39 PM.

There has been a good discussion on this thread. I could just have easily picked the photos from any of the Bunny Runs as another example and wasn't particularly trumpeting BOFRA over FRA races. I agree with the comment that junior fell running is strong throughout the sport no matter who is organising the races.

I've just recieved details of the first English Schools fell running champs being held at Sedbergh School this September. It looks like it wil be a great event, and once the details are published I urge everyone to make them as widely known as possible through your clubs and schools. Sedbergh School are great hosts and it promises to be a fantastic event. Any offers of help on the day will no doubt be accepted.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.