Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete noob

Complete newb

Hi all,

when I say complete newb I really mean it, in that I went for my first ever run on Saturday.

well I say run, it was more of a jog, well more of jog for half a mile walk a bit and so on for about 3 miles, but still I did it and I'll be out for more torture tonight.

I'm really hoping to get to do some fell running at some point but obviously need to get my basic fitness up first, I've been doing some cycling for the past 10 months or so, so I'm not starting from absolute rock bottom but somewhere near it

my only concern so far is that my heart rate seems to be a bit high at times when running, from what I've calculated from web sites I'd expect it to be about 183 max. but it peaked at 194 and I didn't feel that I was pushing as hard as I have done at times on the bike

anyway, any advise will be gratefully received and expect lots of stupid questions

Ian
    Last edited by ianporter; 23-06-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Re: Complete noob

Hi Ian,

I presume you're doing a calculation something like 220 minus your age???

If I'm right I'm guessing you're around 37.

If you are, I'd be a tad surprised if you're getting 194 just by jogging and walking - you sure you've done your calcs right?

not far off,

I'm 39.

my Forerunner 50 shows a max 0f 194 with an average of 134 over 27 mins and knowing the route it's about 3 miles.

I'm out again this evening so I'll see what I get then.

Ian

I can race for 3+ hours at average hr of 193 with no problems. I've done ramp and wingate max tests with a max hr of 203, I'm 38 so the inaccurate 220-age would give a theoretical max of 182. I've been checked out and I'm fine, just a high revver! If you're worried see your GP but you could just be like me, so you just have to adjust your heart rate training zones to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by ianporter View Post
    not far off,

I'm 39.

my Forerunner 50 shows a max 0f 194 with an average of 134 over 27 mins and knowing the route it's about 3 miles.

I'm out again this evening so I'll see what I get then.

Ian
    One possibility is that chest straps can give wildly inaccurate readings for the first few minutes of use if there isn't good enough contact between the unit and your chest. Once you've run a little some sweat will improve the contact and it should start working properly. It might be worth dampening either your chest or the belt before use.

134 average sounds reasonable, at 194 you're likely to feel your heart beating hard and fast.

Thanks Jimbob,

I'm starting to think the same.

I've done the submax step test from Sally Edwards and given that I fall between the two bottom ranges she gives I recon my max is probably between 195 and 205.

I'm in good health and will be training with a very fit and experienced cyclist so with his guidance I think I'll be OK.

I know where my comfort zone is on the bike so I'll start monitoring my heart rate when cycling now I've got a monitor to give me some idea.

But I will see the GP if and when I feel there's cause for concern.

Ian

IMHO stick yer HRM back in the box, get out, enjoy some running, worry boot the rest later

NB

Don't worry about what the HRM says. I don't use one 'cause if I did it would probably say I'm dead! (....I have a heart condition).

To be honest I don't think as many people use them in fell-running as in other sports as the effort levels vary so much, what with getting over fences, jumping ditches, and scrambling up steep bits....or is thst just me when I'm lost!!!

As the man said....just get out and enjoy it!!

I couldn't agree more Nila and NeeBother - I bought a HRM when I started running thinking if I trained 'in the zone' for a few weeks I'd be Seb Coe in no time - soon realised that wasn't true and now just use its stopwatch facility.

I reckon training with faster folk will make you much faster, much quicker than any HRM.

I've stopped using mine, but I think HRM's still have a use - for keeping you slow on easy days (rather than the reverse).

The Heart Rate Monitors for the Kompleat Idiot book says "no runner needs help in training hard, its holding them back from working too hard on easy days that's the problem". Great advice but the price is sky high on Amazon right now http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heart-Monito...260387&sr=11-1

I'm not sure absolute values mean anything. My resting heart rate is below 50, and my doctor nearly shat himself when he measured it. Olympic athlete was his diagnosis, until he saw my beer belly wobbling about all over the place. So I think the converse is true - if your max is 250 or whatever, that's its max, personal to you and nothing to worry about.

Caveat: I'm not a doctor.