Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete noob

Re: Complete noob

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    The Heart Rate Monitors for the Kompleat Idiot book says "no runner needs help in training hard, its holding them back from working too hard on easy days that's the problem". Great advice but the price is sky high on Amazon right now.
    John L. Parker's books have become a cult in the United States. They are not worth the very high prices.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

thanks for the replies guys
    i was out again last night with similar results and actually hit 202 when pushing hard.
    it seems i must just have a high max.
    im not going to worry and just keep at it.
    all i know is last night was much easier and i ran at least 1.5 miles without stopping and just slowed to walking pace a couple of times for 100 yards or so on the return leg and this morning im feeling fine with just a little tightness in the legs.

i know these distances are nothing to you guys but at the moment theyre marathons to me

ian

Quote Originally Posted by ianporter View Post
    i know these distances are nothing to you guys but at the moment theyre marathons to me

ian
    Well done mate, keep it going, it will get easier, don't try to build too much too quickly though, have a few easier days every week or two.
    NB

Ian
    Keep using the HRM I think they do help, more so with easy days as Rich says. With the training go for an easy day, hard day and the same with weeks, build up slow and every 3/4 week have an easy week, but most of all enjoy.
    My Max HR at P-Y-G race was 171 and as I sit here my Resting HR is 41, Next week I will be 61 years young, so the 220-age is way out.
    This is a brilliant sport and so are the people, helpful with lots of different opinions and idears and it's all here on the forum
    Good luck

If you are new to running, then don't do too much in the first few months. Many people start too fanatically. (I speak from experience.) This usually isn't obvious during the first 2 or 3 months, but after that, you're likely to get injuries on your joints and tendons, because your muscles aren't sufficiently developed. Make sure you recover well between runs and decrease your training intensity when you feel any aches or pains. Most training programmes for beginners suggest that you walk a lot during the first months, so you can actually feel good about walking.

I use my 305 just to record my routes and time. I dont bother with the HRM as I feel it messess my concentration when pushin myself harder.

maybe try mixing your running with a spot of cycling to give your joints a rest. alternate your days and you will not need to have the day off. Just take it a bit easier if you feel tired.
    no reason not to do a spot of fitness every day.
    let the good times roll.

Quote Originally Posted by ianporter View Post
    thanks for the replies guys
    i was out again last night with similar results and actually hit 202 when pushing hard.
    it seems i must just have a high max.
    im not going to worry and just keep at it.
    all i know is last night was much easier and i ran at least 1.5 miles without stopping and just slowed to walking pace a couple of times for 100 yards or so on the return leg and this morning im feeling fine with just a little tightness in the legs.

ian
    more distance than i am currently doing, think my longest journey this week has been a minute walk to the fridge..

if you can train without your HR monitor do so?
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by S1eepless View Post
    maybe try mixing your running with a spot of cycling to give your joints a rest. alternate your days and you will not need to have the day off. Just take it a bit easier if you feel tired.
    no reason not to do a spot of fitness every day.
    Cycling is great and is less likely to give you injuries. However, it also tires your muscles, so if you go running the next day, then your joints and tendons will bear more of an impact. (Last time I got injured, it happened after I went on a tough bike ride.) When people have been running for years, they can run every day, because their body is used to it. I think the mistake that many beginners make is that they think they can do the same and they want to get the maximum out of their body too quickly. But for a beginner, there is no need to train every day; you can always do that later, when your body has become more adapted to running. Give yourself time and you are less likely to get burnt out or get injuries. Enjoy running!

Just thought I'd pop in with an update,

things seem to be getting easier slowly, I'm not doing any more distance yet but it's getting a bit easier.

best of all is 'The Boss' has decided she want's to give running a go so I've got another running partner, trouble is she gets a ratty when she's jogging and I'm walking at the side of her, she seems to thing that me being 6'3" to her 5' give me an unfair advantage

anyhow, still at it and starting to enjoy it through clenched teeth

Ian

I used to use a HR strap, but can now tell my level of exhertion without one.

Don't worry because 220 - age is very inaccurate. My HR on a climb is well above the suggested figure.

I agree that the main issue is keeping your HR low enough on a recovery run - most of us run them too fast.