Thread: Langdale routes

Langdale routes

next week me and the wife are stopping in the Eltermere Hotel for two nights. Apart from Rocket Rod's road events I haven't run or even walked in this part of the Lakes before. I'm sure I could manage to pore over the OS map and find a route to run over some tops, but perhaps some of you lot have knowledge and advice to impart.

Ideally I want a 2-3 hour run (probably a circuit) and also a shorter outing (probably out and back) for the day we get there.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Re: Langdale routes

I can give you a great 3hr (ish) route.

From Stool End Farm, up The Band to Bowfell, across Crinkle Crags (inc. Bad Step), down to Pike of Blisco and back to the finish straight off the top of Blisco.

On a clear day (like last Friday) you will get fantastic views right over the Scafell range towards the Isle of Man - tremendous.

I believe Wainwright called Bowfell to the Crinkles 'the best mile in the Lakes' - or something like that.

You can then practice the descent off Blisco for the Great Lakes Run next year

Have fun.

MH

Fellhound

That sounds like an excellent route. Why didn't I think of it...?

PS - Wainwright's accolade was that Crinkle Crags was 'Lakeland's best ridge mile'

That route would make an excellent short alternative to the Great Lakes Run - a la Duddon.

Many thanks for that. Not the route I took in the end though as it would have required running back several extra miles at the end to get back to Elterwater and I only actually had about 2hrs 30 to get back before a planned meal.
    I did the tourist thing and visited the Langdale Pikes, climbing up from Dungeon Ghyll and then running back to my hotel via the boggy ridge South of Grasmere common.
    I also ran the road circuit while I was there (Little Langdale, Over the pass and back along the Gt Langdale valley to Elterwater). In the hour I was out I encountered two seperate heavy rain showers followed a spell with my top tied round my waist as I was too hot to wear it.

Ive never holiday'ed in my home County before - seemed odd being a tourist/local all rolled in together. Happy days
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk