Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fell running popularity?

fell running popularity?

Hi i was heavily involved in fell running about 15 years ago since then i have not attended a race day, how popular is it these days compared to then, When i finished working in the fell running side then it seemed as though it's popularity had waned abit has it had a revival and what is the average size field of runners?

Re: fell running popularity?

Start racing again and you will soon find out!!! But you will have to be quick for on-line entries.
    Just do it
    After climbing a great hill one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ......

i would do if i was fit enough , over the years i have done orienteering , road running , xcountry and fell and you guys and girls have my upmost respect, how you manage to run through the terrain you do without giving up is beyond me i will try and get down to the next event to check it out again .

Err, with that background, I don't think you need worry about size of fields....you'll be off in a cloud of dust somewhere ahead!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

When I first started I was very much on my own but when you start talking to people its amazing how many people are involved in fell running and just how many people will turn out on a cold wet morning to run up and down some hills just turn up and have a go you'll be fine.

I used to sell sportswear and running shoes at all the events I used to look up the hills from underneath by shop canopy and think them guys must be barmy here I am freezing my nuts off and them guys ate running around in shorts fair play to you all you have my upmost respect !!!!

Which are the most popular races do they still have the 1 at settle ??

Quote Originally Posted by daz198 View Post
    Which are the most popular races do they still have the 1 at settle ??
    The Settle Hills race was run a couple of weeks ago and later this year (September?) Settle Harriers are organising a new one following the Settle loop out towards Malham and back and I'm guessing around 10 miles long.

Quote Originally Posted by daz198 View Post
    i would do if i was fit enough , over the years i have done orienteering , road running , xcountry and fell and you guys and girls have my upmost respect, how you manage to run through the terrain you do without giving up is beyond me i will try and get down to the next event to check it out again .
    What are you talking about man? Ger up them fells lad! (lass?)
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

daz198, Maountain range?? Do you not get any hassle from the Alston based company, of the same name, that actually manufactures jackets & bivvi-bags? I have one of their Goretex bivvi bags - a top piece of kit - and my youngest brother swears by their jackets; very simple, the only seams are under the arms and down the sides as they are cut from one piece of Goretex..
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 30-06-2008 at 10:49 PM.