Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scafell pike summit

Master and MR

scafell pike summit

What do others think about the cairn
    i truly think it should be pulled down.

currently the summit is in a right state , the litter is unbelievable and i couldnt wait to get off it on my BG. It was bad

It was in a crap state a few weeks back also when myself , Andy and Ian Dark Peak where there.
    In fact Ian was so disgusted he had to turn away.

Also the amount of cairns around the area are unreal. Why o why do people keep building them
    surely the likes of trail magazine and walking magazines could state this more.
    Its like a load of bloody bee hives everywhere

Re: scafell pike summit

I wonder how much the 3 peaks challenge has to do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Why o why do people keep building them surely the likes of trail magazine and walking magazines could state this more.
    Actually Daz, I'm not sure of their view on cairns, but they may be part of the problem. Also, in the "Wainwright Walks" series, there were at least 2 examples of Ms Bradbury being shown ADDING to cairns on route and saying something which suggested it was a "tradition" to add to them

Personally, I'm going the other way.....if I see a cairn in an inappropriate place, I take a stone or two (or more) off. Sorry if anyway is offended by that....but these are mountains! If you can't find your way off them in the clag without a 6 foot cairn every 5 yards, you shouldn't be on the fells in the first place!!

As for Scafell Pike.......well it could be worse....ladies and gentlemen, I give you............SNOWDON!!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

To be fair the boulder field that is Scafell Pike does make seeing the best line to the top difficult, hence I guess all the cairns. That said all the cairns don't exactly help seeing the best line either

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    To be fair the boulder field that is Scafell Pike does make seeing the best line to the top difficult, hence I guess all the cairns. That said all the cairns don't exactly help seeing the best line either
    Yes, they are rather confusing aren't they? I would colour code them, red for Wasdale etc etc

But it is a mess.
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

I bet there have been plenty of people over the years, who've been glad of those cairns when coming of the summit in worsening conditions, particularly poor visibility.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    I bet there have been plenty of people over the years, who've been glad of those cairns when coming of the summit in worsening conditions, particularly poor visibility.
    couldn't they use a map and compass?

Where are these cairns?...where is all this rubbish?...four times I've been up there it's been a white out...couldn't see a bloomin thing!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    couldn't they use a map and compass?
    Well one could take the view that the ones who can't use a map and compass should be left to die up there.

But that would only make the litter problem worse....

I don't mind the cairns, most are there for various reasons and i think they should left alone.
    What i do dislike though are the tossers who go up there with no respect for the fells (& probably not much repect for much else either).
    Their litter is becoming a problem, sweet wrappers, empty bottles, banana skins and loads of fag ends. Basically if you take ANYTHING up it should come down