Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ingleborough Junior Champs

Re: Ingleborough Junior Champs

Noted all the comments and I would like to re-iterate that I am sure no one is taking pops.
    The series has been largely OK.

Last year Pendle and Lothersdale had some complaints about the races being too long. I thought they were classics. You can never please everyone.

I think the first 3 races all had minor issues.

AW - weather caused the only issue and was beyond anyone's control.

Shuttlingsloe - Too easy - but just cut out the parade lap and send each race further up the fell and you have the problem resolved. Even the full senior race is within what is fine for the older age groups.

Stacksteads - The main issue mentioned was the starting area - the rutted track and 150m or so to the first style, but the route generally was fine.

These are all typical courses which will suit some but not others and would not be a major issue for anyone.

But Ingleborough was poor, and when I get parents from my club saying that it is the worst course and set up that they have encountered in 4 years + of junior fell, then it says something.

A perfect course - is there one? I don't know, but I have been involved in Fell Running for about 3 years now, and the set up at Rivington is probably about spot on.
    Junior races run alongside the senior event from part way up the Fell, so they actually get on to the Fell.

If the Rivington model could be taken and used at other races, then I would say perfect.

Let's face it, the series is fine, is growing in popularity, and this one dodgy day for the younger athletes shoudn't set off any major inquests.

And Lecky, you seem to be doing a great job - love the idea for the Junior do, and I look forward to "your" series next year and finishing in front of you next time as well!

I wasn't at Ingleborough due to kids being abroad, but I have previously commented to Lecky about junior races this year.

My view is that the races should be fairly steep and on at least open fields for the younger ones and fell for older ones. Bofra organise some excellent junior races and whilst not being champs venues the courses and distances should give a good idea based on many year's experience - I know that Lecky knows these races well.

Distance/climb wise they should allow a club runner to complete without excessive discomfort, the FRA distances are maximums and on a steep race beyond some of the girls in particular.

If a new race is added to the champs then the organisers will need extra support.

Hopefully everyone can take the various comments as constructive feedback rather than criticism.

I feel that there needs to be some sort of development plan. Athletes running in the top age of u18 are running no where near the alowed maximum of 6 miles but next year when they enter the u23 the will have to run the Durisdeer as one of the counters. So this means a huge jump with no thought of development.

I also feel that at Shuttlingsloe which was meant to be a trial race there was a difference of 600m between the u12 and u18, when there was plenty of potential for some good courses

Having been involved in junior fell running as a Dad for some 14 happy years, I offer some thoughts and observations about the championship.
    The gulf between organising one senior race and 6 junior races is colossal. Flagging, registration, time keeping/finish, results, prize giving are possibly greater than 6 times more difficult, and need extra experienced helping hands, which are not always available to the hard pressed organiser.
    Some excellent and classic senior races simply aren't suitable venues or situations for junior races. If nothing else they do not have the additional capacity. Fourteen years ago 40/50 runners took part in the junior championship; recent years have seen 300, plus another 100 in U8/U10.
    Thus selecting and running suitable junior races is a never ending challenge. And has been said, let's not forget, everyone is a volunteer.
    I agree with other posts; races need to be a reasonable challenge to differentiate the front runners, without defeating other capable runners. But equally it is the English championship, so the races should not be so easy that anyone can compete.
    I know Lecky has already started a debate on selecting next year's races, to which we can all contribute. I've met a lot of tremendous young people over the years in this sport. We need to keep doing our best for them.

the junior races last year espeshially 16-18s was crap no hills wat so ever just on a flat rocky paths rubbishest fell race ever

My club is giving Ingleborough a miss for our Junior championship races. Poor organisation, kids didn't enjoy it, so why go back? There are some excellent juinor races, we've a club championship of 14 races for our litle ones to choose from.

good call there scott, i got injured from ingleborough it was that awful of a run Lake district offers plenty of excellent FELL races. Not these cross country courses that get set

Great to see the juniors coming through in fell races!

I agree Dom - just not sure why the re-ignite a thread from last year on a race that has been dropped from the Champs Schedule.
    and I have to say the potential was super as Ingleborough is an awesome mountain to run on.

NB. Lads that although the Lakes has some super terrain for fell running there's more to fell running than just the Lake District.

Pendle Hill - The Peak District - Howgills - Yorkshire Dales - and after the FRA Relays last year I have to big up the Clywdian Hills - I also personally love the Bowland Fells.

I think this years FRA series will expand everyones experience with 2 x Lakeland, a visit to the Peak District, either side of the Pennines (with the better side still to come ) and the North Yorks Moors.

It's been an excellent start.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I agree Dom - just not sure why the re-ignite a thread from last year on a race that has been dropped from the Champs Schedule.
    and I have to say the potential was super as Ingleborough is an awesome mountain to run on.

NB. Lads that although the Lakes has some super terrain for fell running there's more to fell running than just the Lake District.

Pendle Hill - The Peak District - Howgills - Yorkshire Dales - and after the FRA Relays last year I have to big up the Clywdian Hills - I also personally love the Bowland Fells.

I think this years FRA series will expand everyones experience with 2 x Lakeland, a visit to the Peak District, either side of the Pennines (with the better side still to come ) and the North Yorks Moors.

It's been an excellent start.
    Hey up now WP whats all that about better side but you are spot on with both angles it has been a great start (and I sure when we get out passports stamped for the trip over to you it will be a cracker) and there are clearly one or two juniors who are blinkered as to what makes a descent fell race.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"