Thread: Japan Mountain Running

Japan Mountain Running

long shot but here goes.........

i am due to take up residence in Yokohama ( South of Tokyo ) in about a months time. Apart from a few tears welling up with regards; leaving behind family, friends, the lake disctrict, and the peaks........thoughts are brewing as to what, if any, mountain runnning there is in Japan ?

I have found the Mount Fuji Mountain race, which I miss by one week - does anyone know if there is a mountain runnng scene in Japan - or do i need to start one !

Thanks in anticipation

x
    And the universe slide from my side.......

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Re: Japan Mountain Running

Purplehaze,

You could try and contact Geoff Read, think he is in Todmorden Harriers, he wrote an article in Fellrunner sometime ago about racing in Japan, a long shot but he might know!

with regards

Gaz

Lived out there for a couple of years myself. Apart from Fuji i never discovered much of a mountain running scene, although there is a thriving trail running scene. Japanese mountains are pretty steep so the trail races would be a good challenge. Some good mountain trails within a train ride of Yokohama too - check out Hakone national park and Ome. Trouble is, its very hard to find out about these races unless you're fluent in Japanese and able to read the magazines and websites.

For local knowledge get in touch with the Namban Rengo club

http://www.namban.org/

I raced and trained with them, great running and social scene, including trips to run or race on the mountain trails. Ask them about Ohyama, a legendary race which involves the last few km running up steps to a mountain top temple! They train in Tokyo but you could easily get to them from Yokohama by train.

PM me if you need any more info.

I have asked one of my Japanese work collaegues to advise.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Initial reply:

Mountain running?
    Really?
    Incredible!!!!........, but a little bit maniac or fruitcake.........sorry......
    By the way, unfortunatelly, I don't know such a maniac clubs at the moment.
    But, I will have time to check web site this weekend.
    Because, as you know, this weekend will be rain. So, I have no plan to visit attractive place.
    Regards,
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

kon e ci wah : )

many thanks boys - awesome information. i will check out the trail running scene as that sounds pretty hardcore - should provide some good training for a 2010 BG !!

3 weeks to go - woo hoo !
    And the universe slide from my side.......

Subarashii yokatta desu ne !

I lived there between 2000 and 2005 when I married my teacher and moved job to UK. I never lived in or near Tokyo but I ran a number of races with Namban Rengo, perhaps the best running club in the world, get in touch with them.

The Mt Fuji Climbing Race is fantastic, I ran it in 2002, do it.

The best advice I can give you is try to learn japanese as much as possible as soon as possible. Find a qualified teacher (being a native speaker is not enough) and start learning now if not already done so. If you live in Yokohama you'll be able to use English better than I did, but still you'll find in many occasion either you're fluent in Japanese or you can't do things.

Gambatte o kudasai !

Purple...

I loiter here for the times I am back in the UK, when I love getting back to hill and moor after the tree covered trails of Japan. I'm a bit late in getting this to you, but there is a Sky Runner World Series Trial race at the end of the month on the 31st of August. It goes up (and down) Mt Ontake, a live volcano some 3000 odd meters. The first and last quarters are less than exciting, with some road (not much) and summer ski runs, but the middle half is proper mountain. Entry closes Friday (15th August) and I am entering, in typically late fashion, today. PM me if you are interested, I can navigate the Japanese for you if you'd like, although there is an English page here:

http://www.powersports.co.jp/sky/sky_e.htm
    Last edited by sapper; 13-08-2008 at 12:14 AM.

A search of the forum brought up this thread, as purplehaze started: a long shot but here goes...

I will be in Japan on business in June and have a free weekend, I would like to run up (and down) Mount Fuji. The race website has lots of useful information but before I get into serious research mode could anyone tell me if this is a realistic proposition?

I'll most likely be in Tokyo on Friday and will be flying to Korea on Sunday evening so my time is very limited.

Thanks in advance

mm

Going to Japan in late October+early November, including a few days holiday maybe running in the mountains around Tokyo. Any recommendations?