Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Champs Short Race Congestion

Champs Short Race Congestion

Did Blackstone Edge last sunday. The men's race with almost 200 runners was congested and the starter struggled (didn't succeed) to get people back to the official start line. No-one wants to "lose out". Enjoyed the race and having paced myself in the first half (I'm not good on the ups) was frustrated at the impossibility of passing on the downhill stretch of the fellside. Everyone was going at the same quickish pace down the worn narrow boggy track. I did manage to pass 2 guys. The first uttered a "they didn't tell us about this" comment as he stepped down into a cement trench and I jumped over him. The second merely fell over to one side.

This congestion issue could be reduced if the "older" vets joined with the ladies race. Could be flexible with this and select say either V50+ or V55+. In the above race the ladies race had 86 and the mens 192. The latter included 26 V50's and a further 40 V55+. Mixing Ladies and V55+ males would give two more manageable races of 126 for the mixed and 152.
    Can get round the issue of comparing males between the 2 races by simply taking the time. This is probably less of lottery than the jockeying for position at the start (I tend to look to be near people I'm comparable with) and the bottle-necking during the race.
    Other options are available.

two toenails

Champs Short Race Congestion

The Trunce race now averages well over 200 people each time. It used to be nearer 80 not that long ago. PB's are impossible for those of us who raced then. Maybe we should set people off in 5 minute waves. Fast ones first and then thro the ranks to the old and infirm. Some races are becoming more and more popular. The sport is growing and we are "suffering" (in the nicest possible way) from road runners joining in something which they may have found alien in the past. We fell runners are such nice people, chilled, happy go lucky humans that we can't help but attract others. I KNOW that certain races are well populated and there is nothing I can do but accept that I might have to share this experience with others. Whether you like it or not Tango, the fells are the future for many people for the forseeable(spelling?) future.
    Look in the results sections for less well attended races and support those. It really doesn't matter where you come. Take a chill pill.

Re: Champs Short Race Congesti

foreseeable

Banned

Wake up and smell the coffee TANGO.
    We have debaited this subject for a week now.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=4819

Come on son, you might be quick in the race but you need to smarten up on here.

Quote Originally Posted by TANGO View Post
    Did Blackstone Edge last sunday. The men's race with almost 200 runners was congested and the starter struggled (didn't succeed) to get people back to the official start line. No-one wants to "lose out". Enjoyed the race and having paced myself in the first half (I'm not good on the ups) was frustrated at the impossibility of passing on the downhill stretch of the fellside. Everyone was going at the same quickish pace down the worn narrow boggy track. I did manage to pass 2 guys. The first uttered a "they didn't tell us about this" comment as he stepped down into a cement trench and I jumped over him. The second merely fell over to one side.

This congestion issue could be reduced if the "older" vets joined with the ladies race. Could be flexible with this and select say either V50+ or V55+. In the above race the ladies race had 86 and the mens 192. The latter included 26 V50's and a further 40 V55+. Mixing Ladies and V55+ males would give two more manageable races of 126 for the mixed and 152.
    Can get round the issue of comparing males between the 2 races by simply taking the time. This is probably less of lottery than the jockeying for position at the start (I tend to look to be near people I'm comparable with) and the bottle-necking during the race.

I have an even better idea.

Why don't we have special races reserved for whingers who have come along and want to change the nature of the sport just for their benefit?

If you are "not good on the ups" and are clearly inadequate on the downs perhaps you should just stick to flat tarmac.

debated

Nazi.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by end View Post

Why don't we have special races reserved for whingers who have come along and want to change the nature of the sport just for their benefit?

If you are "not good on the ups" and are clearly inadequate on the downs perhaps you should just stick to flat tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by end View Post

Of course End's never had a problem with congestion in a race. That's all just behind him

Quote Originally Posted by TANGO View Post

Firstly look at the( Why do they do it thread) which has debated this subject for a week and which I never commented on, but feel I cannot hold back any longer.
    Fell running is a simple concept you must be able to get from point A to point B negotiating steep rough terrain in as quick a time as possible, on the way you may incur the occasional hazards stiles bogs steep descents and ascents and craggy features (and I don’t mean the older V category runners who you refer to at the start of the race) but don’t forget that the vast majority of runners are in the vet classes.
    Fell running unlike a lot of sports, you are able to participate and mix along side the elite, each runner in a race his an individual with varied ability participating for different reasons and goals, be it to win out right be the first lady first in a vet category get a PB or just run for the pleasure of the route or the camaraderie or maybe the freedom and simplicity and to get away from the dictator like beaureaucracy and basic stripping away of individual rights which modern society seems to have become..

So let’s keep Fell Running a sport for individuals for people who respect the hills and the freedom they bring. And keep all the rules and regulations and people who want to implement them to the road and track events.
    Below are a few relevant extracts from the FRA rules for Organisers of Fell races, which seem adequate.
    By the way if you want a race which should have low numbers and a mile of quit lane at the start to sort out the field the Pendle Cloughs Fell race on the 26thJuly. May be to your liking.
    FRA SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR FELL RACES
    3 SIZE OF FIELD
    This must be limited to numbers that the race organisation can completely monitor and control; that
    will not cause environmental damage and will not create a risk of accidents to runners because of overcrowding.

The Fellrunners’ Association
    Guidelines for race organisers
    Route
    If your race has a road section and you have a choice between putting it at the start or at the
    finish then put it at the start; it is far easier and safer to marshal a whole field of runners
    moving rapidly together along a road than to have them moving along it at the end of a race,