Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Whernside Race - cancelled

Re: Whernside Race

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I fancy a crack at this - is there water on route or should I plan to carry some?
    There are a couple of tarns just before the last bit of climb up to summit of Whernside;but I wouldn't fancy it!! There's lots of sheep in them thar hills. Ran course yesterday in wave harriers,but will be wearing Walshes next wk. Very wet,boggy,fast descents off whernside and Great Coum. Only got a bit lost in last half mile.Hopefully this bit will be marked on day. It really is a great,runnable route.Hope plenty turn up

Looks a great route, have walked somthing similar years ago. Hoping to get over and do this subject to my hamstring returning to normal.

phil ill print you a map if you either give me a lift or share the car across
    phil g

Planning on going up Tuesday for a recce of all or some of the course if anyone else fancies it, will stick a post on recce thread too.

Sounds like its gonna be a cracking race. I intended doing Theiveley Pike but might do this instead now.
    Train to Dent station,cycle 4 mile to the village,do the race,post-race beer in the Sun Inn,supping the rather good Dent Aviator. Sorted !!!

is this a turn up and enter on the day race, as i may like to have a go myself (at the back somewhere), cant see the route well enough on a map i've looked at, i assume it'll be marked out? And do i have to be a member of fell FRA to run?
    Last edited by Darth domain; 23-09-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Darth, its enter on the day,you dont have to be an FRA member. Do NOT assume all the course will be marked though and be prepared to carry full body cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds Rhino View Post
    Darth, its enter on the day,you dont have to be an FRA member. Do NOT assume all the course will be marked though and be prepared to carry full body cover.
    well, i have a map of that area i'll have a good look, it'll have to be a trot for me if i have a go, i'm not quite a fell racer. But it would be an eye opener.

I assume there's no water stations etc so carry one's own?

i fancy a crack at this but not sure now unless i can get someone to share journey/petrol up. id emailed paul whos organising it and hes said fell shoes for def and will need to be able to navigate. looking at maps hes sent me there looks like theres regular checkpoints/marshals, so it may not be to bad, unless its claggy (!)

not sure abt water stations, some of the marshalls may have water but should not only relie on that

I ran it on Sunday last - its almost of a distance where you might be able to do without a drink. I just carried one bottle of lucozade sport and drank about half. As for navigation, up and down Whernside won't be any problem at all but coming off Great Coum might be - if the cloud is down I'd recommend taking a compass bearing (and a compass ) with you but just for this one descent.