Thread: Scafell rockfall

Fellhound

Scafell rockfall

Anyone know anything about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7488490.stm

There have been a few rockfalls on the Scafells in the last two or three years - one of them in Foxes Tarn Gully, which the recent Great Lakes Run went up.

Re: Scafell rockfall

A party of 6 experienced walkers had been scrambling up the gully when the leading climber dislodged a large boulder when climbing out of the top of the gully. The boulder managed to injure 2 of the climbers below. A man (61 yrs) sustained crush injuries to his hand and a woman (64 yrs) sustained a haematoma on her quadriceps. A difficult rescue ensued as it was punctuated by a spectacular electrical storm and hail stones. The helicopter managed to find windows of opportunity to fly the casualties to hospital after they had been assisted to the top of the gully. We were helped by Wasdale MRT and the RAF Sea King from Boulmer.

Or so it says on Keswick MRT website.

As ever...the BBC has been reliable and accurate in its reporting

The rockfall happened in Cust's Gully on GREAT END!!! Whilst it's true to say that it is "near Scafell Pike", not clarifying where exactly could easily give the impression that it was either in Lords Rake or Foxes Tarn. I'm never quite sure why they don't name the places/mountains in such cases....or is that too much like hard work for the journo's?
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

As Mr1470 says, it happened in Cust's Gully on Great End. The Wasdale MRT site has slightly more info - currently second item down on this page:

http://www.wasdale-mountain-rescue.o...louts~2008.htm

I had similar thoughts to you when I read the BBC page.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    As Mr1470 says, it happened in Cust's Gully on Great End. The Wasdale MRT site has slightly more info - currently second item down on this page:

http://www.wasdale-mountain-rescue.org.uk/callouts~2008.htm

I had similar thoughts to you when I read the BBC page.
    Yes it was on Great End.
    I heard a flare go off as I approached Great End summit on the day it happened and ran across to see if someone was in trouble and found a Mountain rescue team

The incident had been closed by then and they were about to head back down.

There was no one else on the tops due to the weather which had been a really heavy storm with thunder and lightning yet they were still cheery
    Bill

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    As ever...the BBC has been reliable and accurate in its reporting

The rockfall happened in Cust's Gully on GREAT END!!! Whilst it's true to say that it is "near Scafell Pike", not clarifying where exactly could easily give the impression that it was either in Lords Rake or Foxes Tarn. I'm never quite sure why they don't name the places/mountains in such cases....or is that too much like hard work for the journo's?
    Bit Harsh on the BBC I have to say- they offer such a wondeful service, that its a shame to run them down so easily......of course the WASDALE MRT website is going to have more information

I bet there's bin a few rockfalls in that area oer t'last few million years

Fellhound

You are, as always, correct Wharfee..

However there probably weren't any fellrunners around when t'majority of em appened....

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    there probably weren't any fellrunners around when t'majority of em appened...
    Nay lad...I bet there were more blokes mekkin stone-axe'eads than any amount o' fellrunners thats ever run up yon.
    Notice I said "blokes"...t'women folk wud've bin doon int'valley in th'uts mekkin tea fo' th'axe-'ead grinders after 'ard days work.

Photos show an axe'ead that a mate o' mine fund ont'lower slopes o' Scafell Pike...somewhere 'round Lingmell Col...'bout 3 years ago when we were on a Fell 'n Rock CC meet. We were actually lookin forrem...'e beat me to it...b'stard: