Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: naylors descending technique

Master and MR

naylors descending technique

i was recently watching my naylors run DVD and i cannot quite make out what Joss is saying as he comes down that mountain where he is talking about techniques and stuff
    the audio does not come across very well
    can someone please tell me what he says when he is talkin something about people doing it all wrong

ive noticed he has a very kind of easy action for coming down, did he alter his style specifically for the long challenges or has he always descended like that.
    noticed also that he has trouble with his lower back on the video as well, its a trait i suffer with also which is def aggrevated by steep climbs when im bent over, has joss always suffered from a bad back, i would luv to ask him if there is different techniques to hold off the onslaught of back pain

i suggest he would probably say daz just grin and bear it
    he seems to know what it takes to look after his body,
    my point really is is there anything i can do differently to my technique on the uphills and downhills to alleviate the problem.

Master

Re: naylors descending techniq

There are others on here that know The history of Joss and his back better than i do, but i believe that back problems have always been a problem for Joss, in fact i believe he had surgery on his back in his youth and was told by his doctors that he would not be running again, the rest is history

As to his descending technique i have never been able to stay with him long enough on a descent to analyse it, (it sure put my efforts on Ennerdale last year in perspective, when 70 year old Joss came hurtling by me down a scree slope with hardly a piece of scree moving under his walshes, when every step i took seemed to be tempting the whole slope to slide from under me) the man is a living legend no doubt about that.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I think he is saying something like.... You have to keep your knees bent, not ridgid, as it puts too much pressure on them. He sees younger runners too tense hurtling down hill and that you only get one set of knees, so look after them as the replacements are nt as good!

I now try and keep my knees bent and lean forward, puts alot of pressure on the quads though.

Master and MR

i have tried to copy it but its not that easy you know
    joss seems to stoop over and keep his knees bent and looks very very controlled goin down
    it just looks effortless

in the DVD he does explain that not to fully straightn your leg out as it doesn't absorb the shock the same..

Always makes me smile, that bit where he says, "Aye, me feet don't belong to us".

Had to show that dvd to my mom and dad - show them what they could have been doing instead of watching telly.

He's got one knee replacement hasn't he? And one thigh so much bigger than the other, where he puts all his weight on the real leg.

I think you're right Daz, and he just runs with the back pain. He must have a terrific tolerance to pain to do what he does.

Having spent years coming down the wrong way, I have had to completely re-style my running stance. Essentially, I was leaning back too much to try to regain control. This buts your back into hyperextension (arched backwards) and puts severe pressure on the joints at the back, the facets. These eventually give out and cause pain. Now, I have to consciously lean forward when walking and running just to maintain a 'normal' stance. When I first started descending this way, it felt weird because I always felt I was going to fall forwards. After a while, it became more natural and I realised that my legs were not getting so trashed. Granted, it does not seem as fast but that is more likely due to decrepitude. Looking at pics of Joss, this seems to be what he has perfected....a knees bent, leaning forwards downhill dash, much like our little black friend a few inches up and to the right!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by The Juicer View Post
    Always makes me smile, that bit where he says, "Aye, me feet don't belong to us". And one thigh so much bigger than the other, where he puts all his weight on the real leg.
    "Aye, t'other leg just comes for the ride..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Looking at pics of Joss, this seems to be what he has perfected....a knees bent, leaning forwards downhill dash
    Ian Holmes seems to lean back rather than forward. His style is totally different to Joss's.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Juicer View Post
    He's got one knee replacement hasn't he?
    According to the excellent Feet In the Clouds, he had all the cartilege removed from one knee as a youth. It's probably easier keeping your knees bent if you're unable to straighten them ;-)