Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: naylors descending technique

Banned

Re: naylors descending techniq

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Trouble is whenever a race comes, common sense goes out the window !!
    So true.
    I usually have a plan in mind, to finish strong and fast downhill but I disengage the brain on the ascent and fatigue takes over and its the similar story to Denzils descent.

PS Do Garmin's help of just make you stumble more?

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    my problem isnt disengaging my brain , i think myself im that knackered after climbing , perhaps i should ease back a bit on the climb and put more into the descent

No, Don't think yourself knackered & you won't be!!!

Though maybe some work on recovery might help??
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    So true.
    I usually have a plan in mind, to finish strong and fast downhill but I disengage the brain on the ascent and fatigue takes over and its the similar story to Denzils descent.

PS Do Garmin's help of just make you stumble more?
    Garmins are great if you set yourself an overall pace to do a race at as you can keep glancing to see how you are doing. However, only really useful on the longer type races that I enjoy. I made the mistake of setting it to warn me (by beeping) when I went slower than 3mph when I did Borrowdale the other year. Dont mind it beeping on the ascents but when it started beeping on the descents too I got well fecked off !!! I would have said I was descending like a big girl, but judging by the way some of the ladies past me that day I would have been happy to do it that well !! Think it must be something to do with ladies having to wear high heels and they have more balance and stronger ankles !!

So thats it then problem solved. To be able to be a better descender run up and down your stairs at home in your ladies (or maybe your own !!!) high heels. Promotes better balance and improved ankle strength !!

You wont find that in Dr Tim Noakes 'Law on Running' !!!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Good point actually - when I do speed work I'm up on my toes & likewise when I want to force it on a bike I am also the same. Also jumping round dancing like a loon in a nightclub, I'm also on my toes - giving more strength in my calves.

Build a bit of quad strength helps on the ascents as well. Most of it however is mental.

(LOL just realised I could market this as the AllanT fun hillclimbing strength regime!!!)
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Good point actually - when I do speed work I'm up on my toes & likewise when I want to force it on a bike I am also the same. Also jumping round dancing like a loon in a nightclub, I'm also on my toes - giving more strength in my calves.

Build a bit of quad strength helps on the ascents as well. Most of it however is mental.

(LOL just realised I could market this as the AllanT fun hillclimbing strength regime!!!)
    its funny that allan
    a good couple of hrs dancing in a niteclub is a very good exercise
    but honestly
    races like famous grouse really do suit me
    a long uphill climb to start and im happy
    with me and can literally fly down very technical rocky decents but nice grassy or even descents really benefit strong downhill runners.

at liversedge on sunday i pulled away from a pack of runners early on on the long climb but the short steep downhill at 4 miles they all came by again but sure enough on the next climb i pulled them back, so to be honest ive just accepted that without specific downhill reps im happy were i am although i bloody hate it when some come by

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    its funny that allan
    a good couple of hrs dancing in a niteclub is a very good exercise
    but honestly
    races like famous grouse really do suit me
    a long uphill climb to start and im happy
    with me and can literally fly down very technical rocky decents but nice grassy or even descents really benefit strong downhill runners.

at liversedge on sunday i pulled away from a pack of runners early on on the long climb but the short steep downhill at 4 miles they all came by again but sure enough on the next climb i pulled them back, so to be honest ive just accepted that without specific downhill reps im happy were i am although i bloody hate it when some come by
    how did it go on sunday daz was the new hill as bad as the old? i pulled out of race because of ankle problems, i'm back for ilkley moor though.
    your shoes get so hot you wish your dam feet were fire proof

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by cobbydale View Post
    how did it go on sunday daz was the new hill as bad as the old? i pulled out of race because of ankle problems, i'm back for ilkley moor though.
    to be fair i tried to go with the 1st lady but my plan backfired at 2 miles as she pulled away
    the course is about the same
    i knew i was in a mess at 1 mile cos even though its downhill i went through at 5.30
    took me 11 miles to pull her back only for her to sprint the last 50yds away from me , shook her hand at the end, was well pleased for her.
    its not a bad 1/2 for fellrunners , nice and hilly
    , good views