Thread: Zugspitze

Zugspitze

Picked this up off the Dark Peak site.
    Very sad news on an extreme race, brings a new meaning to Kit checks. with 2 deaths and a number other rescues
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...565678,00.html

Re: Zugspitze

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Picked this up off the Dark Peak site.
    Very sad news on an extreme race, brings a new meaning to Kit checks. with 2 deaths and a number other rescues
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...565678,00.html
    More pictures here

Very sad news Ian, I was thinking of going over to there while I was in Germany next week.

Will be paying close attention to weather forecasts and taking a bit more kit with me
    Bill

I went up there in baking sunshine a few years ago when my wife was working out there. It's such an easy trip to the top that it's easy to forget what it can be like. So many alpine peaks have been made so very accessible and it is so easy to be lulled into a false sense of security as I'm sure we all realise. Blummen hell i can remember not being able to feel my hands during the Edale Skyline in 2007 and that was at about 500M, never mind 2900! I can't imagine how cold it felt for some of those poor blighters. Those photos really make made me shiver.

Tragic stuff. For those making an alpine trip this season, be careful out there!

ST
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 15-07-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Went climbing in that area many years ago. Its called the Wetterstein for a good reason.........the weather is very variable, sunshine to horizontal snow, snot & bullets in the space of minutes.

It always saddens me when people get hurt doing their sport/leisure.

I can recommend the Reintalangerhutte as a base for a chill-out. Have a look at where the big river comes from, a huge spring and DO NOT swim downstream from the hut or you'll enjoy the monster waterfall. the Blaugumfe is worth a swim, bluest of blue water lakes. Its a belting run down and steep run(?) back.

After seeing the other pictures, my question is: Why no bumbag with the basics?
    Last edited by Last Man Home; 15-07-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Man Home View Post
    Why no bumbag with the basics?
    that's what i thought when i saw that lass in her little red shorts!