Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training with dogs!

Re: Training with dogs!

Welcome to the forum Henry.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

HP said "...came off Bowscale towards Blencathra and heard this big splash, I knew what had happened so laughed out loud, turned round, no Yan! went back and saw a black head poking out of the bog. A more terrifying spectacle of a devil dog you would not want to meet, eyes peering out from the pitch black birds nest of a head hurtling down the Glendermalkin. However we got in the beck beneath the Mill (pub) and splashed about then had a Pint in the sun. Now tell me a better day."

That's exactly the type of day you need to remember when the clag is down or you are at the back of a race. This is what it's about for me, the races are just social humuliations.

Funny how many perfect days end in a pint though isn't it?

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Doggy (billy) is poorly sick at the moment with a cut pad after i took him running with the club around the local area the other night. some A******E's had thought it a good idea to smash some bottles all over a footpath . didnt see them until it was too late

now im £50 poorer after a trip to the vets and billy is moping around the house as he cant go for a walk without a sock taped over his foot
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Thumbs up Re: Training with dogs!

One of my favorite topics ! Can't believe I did not see this sooner

I only run with mine when it is cold, because they are northern breeds (malamutes, samoyeds, and a type of Alaskan village dog called a Hedlund Husky). They are sled dogs (and sometimes skijor dogs), although my old mal is retired from the team. They cook if it is above freezing or even close to it. The mals are "slow," which means they can go at an easy trot for them and I can run along and keep up. Unless he sees a bunny . The sams like to go faster but are not as strong. They are plenty strong enough to pull me off my feet, except maybe the little girls, who are still strong enough to get me moving faster. Running with the sams is a good way to do speed and cadence training.

I live in farm country and always run with the dog attached by a skijor line, canicross style. Otherwise the neighbors or their cows might object. Even an average dog is a much better endurance athlete than most people, but they are great running companions because they never lose their enthusiasm. Just gotta take care of their feet.

Sounds like you have many dogs!!

I totally agree with the rabbits and the Malamute! - Also squirrels, cows, sheep, chickens and i nearly always end up on my face - quite good for sprint training though!

Do you do Bike joring or Cani Cross then? - We are doing the rallies this year scooter and Rig - Just waiting for my new rig to arrive - but she only goes on it if it is 11 degrees or less - same with running she lets me know when she has had enough

We currently have 22 dogs - 16 sams, 3 mals, 1 AK husky, and a couple of brown dogs (1 golden retreiver, 1 mixed breed of uncertain recent ancestry who looks like a sled dog but she don't go).

I have done bikejoring, but it is too dangerous for my tastes. So canicross and skijoring with whoever my wife is not running in her team. Our dryland training involves mostly ATV (heavy enough to control team). We gave up on "lightweight" rigs when we (meaning my wife) started running more than 6 dogs in the team.

My old mal (that's him on the couch in my avatar) is also good at self-regulating his effort, usually related to temperature. But he is willing to run if rabbits are involved. He also likes to suddenly pounce on voles, etc, in the grass or snow next to the trail Unfortunately he has slowed down a lot in the last year (he is 11 yrs old in Oct) so he does not run with the team or me anymore. But I have lots of young dogs to choose from (young dogs who are not ready to go into the big team, or who are getting some command training, girls in heat, or any dog who does not fit in the team for any number of reasons). They don't all like to run solo (without other dogs) though, but there's always someone to take.

Just to take this back to run training - running attached to a dog who wants to go a little faster than you is Excellent speed training, if you can survive the experience

I usually take either 1 or 2 of my collie cross mutts with me on the fells. the question i have is how far should dogs of 14 years run? mine have been with me for up to 28 miles and seemed ok, but should i take them on long uns?
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

Picked up a rescue Staffie from the RSPCA last year, she is the best dog I've ever had and have ever run with...Slow intro into running on the fell with her, ie. walk/run stuff and within six months she was right at home on the fell.
    A year on she has no problems covering 20+ miles, no problems with sheep or other dogs but she does her best to get those moorland hares, never succeeded yet.
    So if you are out around Blackhill, Bleaklow or Kinder and you see an ageing, stumbling fella being left behind by a white with black eye patch Staffie, say hello, it will be me and Tilly...

What is the best food (if any) to take with you to feed the dog on a long run ?
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

I take some of my rain's dry dog food if it's a long run (above 20) and some treats too in the hip pockets of my omm sac. Water isn't usually a problem as dogs will drink stuff we wouldn't touch or could indeed drink.
    Generally going nowhere fast.