Page 638 of 846 FirstFirst ... 138538588628636637638639640648688738 ... LastLast
Results 6,371 to 6,380 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

No cycling for me yesterday, or today for that matter... no time

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bullinwrap View Post
    Not even at the weekend?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by bullinwrap View Post
    thought that I'd stumbled on to BookFace.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Yesterday's bike ride was a sobering affair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-41637461

About 500 cyclists attended a vigil and "slow ride" to remember a doctor who was killed while cycling in Birmingham only last week.

To cut a long story short Birmingham City council had £24 million to spend on cycling infrastructure 5 years ago. Apart from a few free bikes and somebody painting a few pictograms on the road we have seen none of it and certainly nothing that could perceivably have improved cycling safety.

Cyclists in the city have decided that enough is enough - this is not the first tragedy nor will it be the last if the council continue to do nothing. As a regular cycle commuter in the West Midlands, there are certain roads, most of which are in Birmingham that I dread having to ride down and I have had plenty of near misses.

To cap it all, the Mayor has just announce his intention to provide loan cycles in the city centre - the equivalent of "Boris bikes". So, yet more bikes, nowhere really safe to ride them and still no segregation from ever increasing traffic due to on-going long term road works. Great idea!

If you care about such matters, regardless of whether you are likely to cycle in the city, please sign the petition here:
    https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...ngham-cyclists

Thanks

Pete
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    If you care about such matters, regardless of whether you are likely to cycle in the city, please sign the petition here:
    https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...ngham-cyclists
    Done.

I was in Birmingham for a few days in July, and was passed by loads of cyclists as I walked along the canal towpath to Birmingham University. But we do need to make the road network safe for cyclists, everywhere.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Done.

I was in Birmingham for a few days in July, and was passed by loads of cyclists as I walked along the canal towpath to Birmingham University. But we do need to make the road network safe for cyclists, everywhere.
    Many thanks for signing up. Much appreciated.
    The canal towpaths are a great way to get in and out of Brum and deservedly popular with cyclists. Unfortunately getting to and from them can be a bit of a lottery particularly on the east of the city and of course they are only useful if they are anywhere near your destination. That one past the uni is my commute when I need to get to the city centre but for most of the winter months they are unlit, icy and muddy - not great and sometimes a salted road is the only option.
    The council have muted many other schemes and two major segregated routes. Sadly, these have been beset with planning problems and others seem to have been dropped with no signs of a replacement. We have seen no sign of any of them yet.....

Turn the Hagley Road into a cycle only Super Highway!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Many thanks for signing up. Much appreciated.
    The canal towpaths are a great way to get in and out of Brum and deservedly popular with cyclists. Unfortunately getting to and from them can be a bit of a lottery particularly on the east of the city and of course they are only useful if they are anywhere near your destination. That one past the uni is my commute when I need to get to the city centre but for most of the winter months they are unlit, icy and muddy - not great and sometimes a salted road is the only option.
    The council have muted many other schemes and two major segregated routes. Sadly, these have been beset with planning problems and others seem to have been dropped with no signs of a replacement. We have seen no sign of any of them yet.....
    I work in Aston, about 100 yards from the canal running between the city centre and Spaghetti Junction. If I was a Birmingham resident, it seems undoubtedly the best way to get quickly around the city (although I don't actually recall seeing more than one or two cyclists in total as I pass).

Incidentally although I live in Coventry, the commute between Cov and Birmingham is possibly the easiest I've ever had. Roll up to Cov train station for 8am, jump on the train, quick change at New Street then I'm there. Of course starting at the ridiculously late hour of 9am does help. Rail commuting does have issues though (crowds, appallingly frequent delays. Luckily there is a plethora of trains between the two cities, and out to Aston).

But on the whole it is surprisingly more hassle free than getting across Cov in the rush hour, or even worse, getting to somewhere like Leamington or Warwick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Turn the Hagley Road into a cycle only Super Highway!!
    Sounds good to me!

I did the Birmingham Velo which used the Hagley Road as far as Quinton. Unfortunately its a 1 day a year opportunity and it'll cost you £75 for the privilege but most enjoyable nonetheless.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I work in Aston, about 100 yards from the canal running between the city centre and Spaghetti Junction. If I was a Birmingham resident, it seems undoubtedly the best way to get quickly around the city (although I don't actually recall seeing more than one or two cyclists in total as I pass).
    The canals on that side of the city are not so popular for various reasons. Location and proximity to major roads like the A38 doesn't help, the towpaths are not great and they are also prone to being inhabited by various unsavoury types, if you know what I mean!

The Worcester, Grand Union and Main line are far more popular but of course they all radiate out from Gas Street and are therefore not that much use for getting around the city - only in and out.

The council has plans for 2 super highway into the city along the A38 from Selly Oak and A34 from Perry Barr. God knows why but there has been quite a large amount of opposition and although work on these should have been started now, they are now scheduled for next year. Its a start but what most local cycle groups would like to see is more segregation particularly around busy junctions such as the one at the site of the recent tragedy. Not even a bus lane there - just 2 lanes of extremely busy mixed traffic in all directions at a 4 way cross roads.

Of course being able to legally cycle across the city centre would also be nice. It is now almost all totally pedestrianized or tramways with cycle exclusions. I doubt there will be much take up on the Boris bikes unless they do something about that.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast