Page 41 of 847 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Re: Todays Bike Ride

I live in a lumpy area too... So not as easy as on the flat... Mind you, I am getting used to it...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Yup, done 100 a few times, not recently though Getting fitter though perhaps in a few weeks.......

So, how about the Daz challenge, I reckon 100 miles in 6hrs 41mins would be doable for most of us on here, that's only 85 miles short of Cav. So for those of you clocking up 100 over the next few weeks, lets see how you do...post here for the Daz challenge for whiter whites
    Certainly doable but lots of things affect it
    I cannot honestly say ive done a fast 100. Dont see the point.
    Its all hills around here but I suppose well under 6 hrs should be possible for me if I went t other way.

My longest race this summer is 85 miles... so I can feel a fast 100 coming on as a training ride...

First race is only 65, so should be ok on that one

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Its all hills around here but I suppose well under 6 hrs should be possible for me if I went t other way.

Think I just said that?!!

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Our club record for the hundred is 3:55:44 on a course in Utoxeter.
    Think Michael Hutchinson has the UK record on a course in North Yorkshire in 3:23:33.

Well, something to aim for... Maybe I should go and find a flat course

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I think we need a few more rules for that though....does it include/exclude stops....how much uppage etc?? I could happily crank out 100 on the flatlands in my neck of the woods in that time but Daz lives in a hilly bit so his lumps are bigger!!
    ooh, Emms getting serious
    Can't do a decent ride around here without a decent amount of uppage. In any case, what is a poor non-running fell runner to do when he/she cannot run up hills, cycle them of course so I reckon uppage is in to give the challenge some meat!
    Stage 1, just get fit enough to get to 6hrs 41mins

Am i the only cyclist who hates going up hills!

Unless i go out to the coast as emmi mentioned a few back...its up and down and up and down....even getting to the canal has......5-6 horrible climbs in it.

Ive decided....i need to do what Daz did and start saving up and buy a decent road bike.
    The bike i have is good enough for what i currently do but its not a road bike and i think if i got something like what you all ride i could clock up the milage alot easier. I borrowed the road bike of the peoples house i was working at this summer down in shreswbury and i couldnt believe the speed you can get out of them!
    Considering scarpping my car fund for one
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 09-04-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I think we need a few more rules for that though....does it include/exclude stops....how much uppage etc?? I could happily crank out 100 on the flatlands in my neck of the woods in that time but Daz lives in a hilly bit so his lumps are bigger!!
    Ok, some rules for the Daz challenge:
    1. The challenge is to cycle 100miles or for 6hrs 41 mins, whichever comes first. If the former is achieved then subsidiary rule 1a) will apply. (see 1a) below
    1a) Those achieving 100miles in less than the Cav number(ie 6.41) will be required to continue to cycle until such time has passed. A record of the total mileage will be made at that time.
    2. Food/liquid stops are allowable up to a total time of 15mins for the entire challenge. These may be taken at the discretion of the challenger. This time will not be part of the aforementioned 6hrs 41. ie this is to comply with rule 3, see below.
    3. 6hrs 41mins will be the total cycling time.
    4. Uppage. It would be gentlemanly to undertake this challenge over suitably hilly terrain, this is after all a forum dedicated to going up(and down). You will therefore be required to cycle over two recognised cols in your locality. It would be desirable to achieve a total climb per ride of 2,000 metres. This is not however essential though may sway the judges in the event of a tie and will also give said achievers valuable bragging rights.
    5. Scrap metal handicap. For those not held together with 3kg of titanium screws and bolts it will be necessary to carry a handful of scrap metal in your saddle bag or cycling jersey.
    6. All results will be collated on the thread "Today's Bike Ride"
    7. A prize will be on offer to the most commendable performance.(This need not necessarily be the fastest time/maximum mileage)
    8. The decision of the judges will be final.
    9. The decision of Daz supercedes all other decisions.
    10. There is no rule 10.
    Last edited by Toffer; 09-04-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    ooh, Emms getting serious
    Can't do a decent ride around here without a decent amount of uppage. In any case, what is a poor non-running fell runner to do when he/she cannot run up hills, cycle them of course so I reckon uppage is in to give the challenge some meat!
    Stage 1, just get fit enough to get to 6hrs 41mins
    I am in the same position, although not held together with titanium bolts