Page 644 of 847 FirstFirst ... 144544594634642643644645646654694744 ... LastLast
Results 6,431 to 6,440 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Banned
    Nice 10 this evening, quite roads again. Excellent scenery and listening to the birds song. Pleasure to be riding again.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Clent/Kinver/Droitwich triangle. 95km with 1350m ascent in 30+ degrees heat. Thankfully a breeze at times - hard work but worth it. Hopefully will cool down a tad for next week's velothon.

Banned
    Round the local villages with girlfriend leading the way. Nice to have the company and a chat.
    Just spinning the legs and enjoying the little 15 effort.

Banned
    Work and back on bike.

Had to take some stick at work but i think it was admiration and jealous.

More tomorrow if legs recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Work and back on bike.

Had to take some stick at work but i think it was admiration and jealous.

More tomorrow if legs recover.
    Excellent. When I returned to cycling, I noticed regular commuting made a big difference to bike fitness even if its only a few miles a day. I built up from 1 day a week (10km/day) and now do 4 (20km/day).

Off home on the CX bike tonight via some very dry and dusty off-road sections.
    Last edited by PeteS; 02-07-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Without turning this thread too serious... but running gseems to translate into cycling fitness quite well... e.g. I've never done any real cycling of note. But when I went to Fuerteventura I picked up a bike and knocked off a hilly and windy 50 miles with no issue at all (even stopping mid way to run up and down an extinct volcano).

But I would never even contemplate doing a long run/race off the back of anything other than proper running training.

Maybe 50 miles isn't enough of an indicator of a long ride.... I know next to nothing about cycling.

Travs, you are a very fit bloke so no surprise there! When the legs have had enough of running I can certainly see you making a top notch cyclist.
    To a certain extent, the two disciplines complement each other. If you can climb well running, you are usually pretty good at the same on a bike. 50 miles is a good distance and not to be sniffed at - probably what I'd aim for on a Saturday morning easy ride. Cycling is generally about power to weight ratio - generating watts combined with stamina.
    There is of course no equivalent of down hill running in cycling - well I suppose sitting to be exact! There is definitely a skill to descending though (and equal parts bravery as in fell running) but I do start to get the jitters when I hit 40mph.... 🙄.
    Last edited by PeteS; 02-07-2018 at 07:39 PM.

I've heard various throw-away comments, along the lines of "3 miles on a bike is equivalent to 1 mile running". I certainly found 50 miles on the bike somewhat easier than 17 miles on my feet. But then again I've never been on a 'proper' competitive bike ride or race...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've heard various throw-away comments, along the lines of "3 miles on a bike is equivalent to 1 mile running". I certainly found 50 miles on the bike somewhat easier than 17 miles on my feet. But then again I've never been on a 'proper' competitive bike ride or race...
    I think somebody else asked about that elsewhere on here. There is no easy way to compare the two and a lot depends on the terrain you are running/cycling in. As most of my runs and rides are hilly I reckon that in terms of effort, distance is equivalent to 4 times and ascent approximately equal. That said, it would take me significantly longer to cycle 100 miles than run 25.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Excellent. When I returned to cycling, I noticed regular commuting made a big difference to bike fitness even if its only a few miles a day. I built up from 1 day a week (10km/day) and now do 4 (20km/day).
    Cheers for your support Pete.

Managed another commute today.

Out in the car tomorrow so it will be a rest day.

Just 11k each way with 400ft going and 700ft coming home.