Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runs in North Wales

Runs in North Wales

Hi everyone.
    I'm relatively new to running in any shape or form - I did a couple of 10ks last year - but fancy taking up fell running as I find running on the roads boring. In the circuit classes which I've been doing, we do some running in the hills and on Offas Dyke footpath near Prestatyn. When I can breathe I find it really enjoyable

As my goal for this year - I like to set myself a challenge each year - I'd like to do the Clwydian Fell Race in November. Please can anybody suggest any races, in and around North Wales, which I could enter to build up to this. Not that I race as such - I'm not competetive. I just want to challenge myself and to enjoy it. Also, I'm not a fast runner - 10k on the flat takes me an hour. I don't mind coming last so long as I'm not hours after everyone else .

Thank you
    Louisa

Re: Runs in North Wales

Louisa, Welcome to the fold! You'll soon learn that fell runners do not obssess with time but focus on enjoyment. Sounds like you'll fit right in. Why not join the WFRA who publish all the races in your area? Check out www.wfra.org.uk Martin Cortvriend, who posts on here as Welsh Harrier, will no doubt be along shortly to fill you in the many races in your area. Next one up is Llangynhafal loop on 5 April. 5.5 miles and 1500 feet...an ideal race to cut your teeth on.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks for that Wheeze. I will join the WRFA.

Unforunately I think 5th April is too soon for me, especially as I'm away skiing from 22nd to 30th March and won't have time to train, or recce the route (to see whether I can manage it and build enough confidence to enter ). Shame it's so soon - you're right the distance and ascent sounds good for my first race, and it's not far from home.

Can't wait for some lighter evenings to get out in the hills again, now I've made the decision to do this

david

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa View Post
    Unforunately I think 5th April is too soon for me, especially as I'm away skiing from 22nd to 30th March and won't have time to train, or recce the route (to see whether I can manage it and build enough confidence to enter ).
    Never mind the excuses. Just do it .

But it might take me a week! Everyone will have gone home!

How can i get hold of the route? Could perhaps have a go on Friday.....

David is right. Give it a go and don't worry about times or positions or anything like that. If you're worried about coming last, have a read of Dave Hancock's article "Tactics for coming last" in the August 2007 WFRA Newsletter found here.

I have only a vague idea of the route because I haven't run the race before. You head south from Llangynhafal along the foot of the range on the path starting at GR 138633 until you get to the point GR 144623. From here you head up the bottom of the valley until you get to the top of Moel Famau. I think the race climbs up the rocky gully found here on the way to the top. This ascent contains most of the height gain for the race. From Moel Famau follow the Offa's Dyke Path north until GR 145641 where you should turn westwards and follow the track marked on the map all the way back to the start of the race. I think that I have most of the route right, but hopefully Welsh Harrier, the race organizer, will correct me if I am wrong.

Give the race a go and I bet you'll be hooked. You'll soon be on the lookout for a good headtorch so that you won't have to wait for the lighter evenings to appreciate the hills.

Louisa don't feel you just have to do fell races; pick a fine day and hack off up a mountain or two. Here's my favourite run in North Wales:

Snowdon - Watkin Path up and opposite ridge down

Right well im new to fell running aswel but trust me when i say the people on this forum site are absoulte legends. My first fell race is this saturday. At first when i agreed to do i i had zero confidence and i was worried i would come last (which i may still do ) but everyone on the site seems to be so good at giving advise and building your confidence. Ive only managed to get 5 training runs in.......but hopefully that should be enough. On the race day, just take it easy........pick out someone who is running at your pace and aim to beat them hehe......dont go for a gold medal winning aim lol.
    Best of luck what ever you decide to do though!

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa View Post
    How can i get hold of the route? Could perhaps have a go on Friday.....
    The route is as Fortinbras says, if you want to PM me with your email address I'll send you a map of the route you can print out.

There are plenty of Wednesday evening races in the area when the nights get lighter, all about 4 miles (6.4km ) around the Moel Famau and Llangollen area. Great fun.

Check out the Eryri website for the calendar.

Tuesday night races start in a few weeks, these are perfect for beginners, well marshalled, friendly races. A few up the North Wales Coast too, so local for you.