Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is too Old

Unhappy How is too Old

I will be 70 next birthday, I have at present 148 medals for road running including several marathons. I have been out of training for 12 months due to illness, now I live in the North West I would like to try fell running I have done some cross country in the past, any advice will be welcome.

Re: How is too Old

We have Mick ward at our club and he is well into his 70's,he still enjoys running and does all kinds of races including fell.Some of his times are incredible (2.54 marathon M60,3.26 marathon M70) The reason i mention these times are to prove that you can still enjoy running for the experience and not just for glory or times.I can understand how people can feel dejected with slowing times due to age.I think you will find many adrenaline junkies as opposed to heartrate monitor wearng stopwatch staring runners in the fell scene and you will be welcomed with open arms to share fell stories and experiences...Enjoy !

There are a few V70's in the area competing, take a look at some of the results. We also have a Mr Running Fox on the forum who is into his 70's and knocking out 7.5 min miles on the road (well, last year anyway). Drop him a PM, not sure what he's up to in the fells.

I suppose the 'Junior Member' under your sign-in name is a good example of an oxymoron (off thread I know!).

Quote Originally Posted by cooinda View Post
    I will be 70 next birthday, I have at present 148 medals for road running including several marathons. I have been out of training for 12 months due to illness, now I live in the North West I would like to try fell running I have done some cross country in the past, any advice will be welcome.
    In answer to the thread title, "Your never too old" You obviously have been a good runner in the past, get some off road/ hill training in, see how you feel and give it a go. Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must- just never give up. Pinched that from a book i'm reading at the mo, you still have that fire burning in you, the desire to to live, not just exist.
    Best wishes, good health, take it steady and good luck
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by cooinda View Post
    I have at present 148 medals for road running.
    Success in fell running is not measured by the number of medals.

Very few fell races award medals, although some of the classic events do give all finishers a certificate with important information such as the date, our time and finishing position, Some certificates also give your age category and finishing position. These certificates are more valuable and informative than any road running medal.

The most important benefits of completing a fell race are the sense of achievement, the enjoyment of the location and the camaradieship with the other nutters athletes. Issues such as personal best times are largely irrelevant.

There is not compulsion about actually running. Most athletes, including the best, will walk part of the course if the terrain is too steep.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Thumbs up Re: How is too Old

Thanks X Runner, perhaps I did'nt explain myself properly.
    I am not looking for any more medals, that reference was simply to show that I am not a novice runner, my question was really about whether or not at my age it was possible to come back after a long lay off and learn to fell run.

Yes! You obviously have the background/fitness. Give it a go, there is nothing to lose. We all need new challenges and what could be more inspiring than the fells. If the enthusism is there the rest will follow! While there are not so many over 70's racing at the moment there is a big contingent of 50 and 60 year olds so there is a little doubt there will be a lot more in the future. We are right behind you! Good luck!

You are only as old as the girl you feel! So get a young bird and get out running!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

It's not an essential pre - requisite though...