Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How is too Old

Re: How is too Old

Quote Originally Posted by cooinda View Post
    I will be 70 next birthday, I have at present 148 medals for road running including several marathons. I have been out of training for 12 months due to illness, now I live in the North West I would like to try fell running I have done some cross country in the past, any advice will be welcome.
    Just get out there and enjoy

The only thing I can say to you is RESPECT, I hope I'm still out there at that age.

Q, has any one every done a 70 at 70?

I can genuinely say it's people like you that inspire me.

Years ago, me and a bunch of mates were going to Coed-y-Brenin mountain biking. One lad said, "I'll bring me Dad, he'll love it".

I thought to myself, 'Are you having a laugh?', but obviously said nothing.

The day arrives and the fella turns up with his Dad in tow... great blokes, the pair 'em, and the Dad was 63. Now in my naivety, but in the full knowledge that I am no athlete (I have NEVER been under ANY illusions about that), I didn't expect Colin to go the distance.

It soon became apparent that this bloke had the aerobic whipping of the best of us (and the best of us was a pretty quick lad!).

I thought to myself then and still do, I hope I'm going at these things when I am that sort of age...

At the time, Colin was running circuit training classes but since he retired has let that go... he's now in his 70's by a comfortable margin.

All I am saying is, if you have a good degree of aerobic fitness (and I don't what the illness that you are referring to is) and you fancy it, dip a toe in the water... (and it usually involves water of some kind!).

You're obviously experienced enough to know what's daft and what isn't, so give it a try.

Good luck
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

My dad has decided to come and do his first fell race with me in the autumn. he's 63. And a lot bloody fitter than me Has the advantage that he can get straight in the pub and get a round in before I get back

You are certainly never too old.

Although my dad doesn't race these days, apart from the occasional orienteering event he's probably doing more miles 'training' than me at 76.

Talking of orienteering if you do feel that you are too slow to race over the fells you've got plenty of years ahead of you in that sport- I came across the results from the World Masters Orienteering Champs the other day where they had Over 90's age races with the oldest competitor born in 1914.

Never too old, we have had a 69 year old on the Navigation Course one year and he was not, out of it or left behind by any means, give it a go and enjoyit's the best sport in the world.
    Last edited by Big Compass; 21-07-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Just get out there and enjoy

The only thing I can say to you is RESPECT, I hope I'm still out there at that age.

Q, has any one every done a 70 at 70?
    Joss Naylor did it last year. Or was it the year before...? And I'm only 56 I usually congratulate myself if I'm not last, but I get a real buzz when I finish a race and some smooth headed 30 something comes in after me
    At Burton Leonard trail 10K yesterday the last finisher was 80+. Praise him with all praise 86 minutes and going strong. Was he a loser? No way!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

By the way Harold Dobson (V70) of Knavesmire Harriers does 10 miles in 64 minutes and Peter Lambert (V70) of Valley Striders beat me on the Wharfedale Off road half marathon. I watched him pulling away from me up Mastiles Lane and I could not catch him though I ran the whole lot
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Pete Norman (70 year old of Wrexham AC) ran 5 fell races in three days over Christmas!

dead is too old, other than that i suppose we all look to the old stalwarts who keep going! Joe Garbarino in our club is around 72

The oldest to complete the 42 mile Lyke Wake Race this year was 75 years young!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot