Thread: Cheviots Aug 9-22

Cheviots Aug 9-22

Holidaying up in Alnwick area middle two weeks of August. Can anyone suggest a good recce or run in the Cheviots for a day or is anyone else up there at the same time and interested in a day in the hills? Thanks.

Re: Cheviots Aug 9-22

hi splinter,
    loads of great runs from alnwick direction. main centres for heading into the cheviots are from Wooler via harthope valley or college valley for Cheviot and Hedgehope or Alwinton in Coquetdale for Bloodybush edge, Cushat law, Windy Gyle and the border ridge.
    Check out the Northumberland Fell runners website for training run details and also some race maps for northumberland which could be run at a more leisurely pace
    phil

Plenty of good running around Rothbury: Simonside/Rothbury Forest. Brilliant routes from Wooler (e.g. head out to Yeavering Bell) and in the Ingram Valley-lovely grassy tracks. Waymarking is excellent on National Park routes (leaflets at the tourist offices) and on things like St Cuthberts Way/St Oswalds Way. The coast is worth a run too, head north to Bamburgh from Craster - the scenery is awesome.
    While you are in the area the Montane factory shop in Ashington is good for bargains, check opening times though before setting off.
    Enjoy yourself.

Rumour I heard was Howgills but yes, this did cross my mind

Thanks for the advice. Just got back, managed to get permission for a couple of good days running out of Wooler along the lines suggested above. Also got the boys (7 and 6) up Yeavering Bell...their first "mountain". They showed considerably more fell running promise than me on the descent.

Fellhound

What's the terrain like? The hills look great on the map but might be cloaked in head-high bracken for all I know...

I'm on holiday up there for a week starting Sept 13th and quite fancy a couple of runs around Shillhope Law, Windy Gyle and The Cheviot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    What's the terrain like? The hills look great on the map but might be cloaked in head-high bracken for all I know...

I'm on holiday up there for a week starting Sept 13th and quite fancy a couple of runs around Shillhope Law, Windy Gyle and The Cheviot.
    Quite runnable (in my limited experience). It is brackeny in places, obviously, but not impenetrably so and no shortage of trods to follow. Also plenty of marked paths (as you know.) It is a great area.

I have to be in Galloway sometime that week (work.) I could probably be persuaded to make a detour