Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fell to race or not

fell to race or not

I've been having a good read, and it would appear that the vast majority of you guys take part in races. However, i'm not into racing, just to run for me, to enjoy scenery, knacker myself and feel less guilty having a few pints at the end of the day. Am i normal

Well, i bloody hope not

Re: fell to race or not

Go on, give it a try. Races are a good place to meet people, provide a bit of incentive to run somewhere different and enjoy the scenery. I suspect everyone is a bit competetive and running in a group gives you that extra push to get a little more out of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Go on, give it a try. Races are a good place to meet people, provide a bit of incentive to run somewhere different and enjoy the scenery. I suspect everyone is a bit competetive and running in a group gives you that extra push to get a little more out of yourself.
    do most of you guys start like me, just wanting to run for the hell of it, then this racing bug takes hold? i think my fitness would have to be a lot higher to even contemplate racing

Some run to race, some race to run. Find a local race and go along to watch somewhere on the course and see what you think. Fell running is far more low key than road running, there's a lot of people out there just for a run round rather than eyeballs out racing.

I run to run, very rarely race. Wouldn't worry me in the slightest if I never went near a fell race ever again, but i couldn't do without running on the hills. That's where my pleasure is.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

My observation is that the back of the field is a very friendly place to be. And, when you are on barstools afterwards, everyone is equal!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Did one race last year and a few more this year. I find races very daunting but on the other hand I've gotten to know a few people (well some just very briefly!) instead of just bimbling around the hills on my own all the time. I do enjoy being out in the hills on my own very very much, but I've found now, it's nice to have a bit of company and a bit of pressure on to keep you on your toes!
    Anyway, the only race I run is with myself. I'm not in it to be better or worse than anyone else as I'm never going to win any of them! But it's great to be part of the wonderful atmosphere of it all...once the nerves have dissipated!
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 07-08-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    My observation is that the back of the field is a very friendly place to be. And, when you are on barstools afterwards, everyone is equal!
    Change "observation" for the word "experience" and thats exactly what I was going to write. Well done Wheeze

Running solo is a beautiful and sometimes downright dangerous thing. Running a race is far safer but hurts like buggery........... not that I know what buggery hurts like of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    do most of you guys start like me, just wanting to run for the hell of it, then this racing bug takes hold? i think my fitness would have to be a lot higher to even contemplate racing
    I can't say for sure of course but I'd bet your fitness would be good enough to ensure you finished far from last, not there's any shame in that of course. I'm always towards the back these days, well always was if I'm honest. Pick a race distance that your comfortable with, longer ones take a bit of working up to, and just take it steady at first.

I also love long training runs in the hill on my own so you don't lose that side of things, its just a different experience.