Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshireman 1/2 marathon

Yorkshireman 1/2 marathon

Has anyone done the 1/2 marathon. was thinking of trying it and wondered about navigation and whether need to buy an OS map for area as unfamiliar with course.

Re: Yorkshireman 1/2 marathon

I'll be there again Egor for the 3rd time. There aren't really any major navigational problems at all it's all pretty straightforward apart from a small section near the end. After turning left at the church you go along a lane and appear to be going through someones garden A good runable course though....see you there

cheers, you dont need a map then?

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    cheers, you dont need a map then?
    I didn't use one on the previous 2 but you can get one. There will no doubt be enough people to follow and it's quite well marked although some joker moved a marker last year. All the 'open' running is easy enough it's just the fiddley section through the village, before the church then back onto fields. I think the map is on the Keighley web site?

Hang on, just noticed it's not starting an finishing from the same place....... Brett will know more!
    Last edited by emmilou; 16-08-2008 at 04:47 PM.

K & C organise some recces if you fancy a trot round, http://www.kcac.co.uk/?p=1604#more-1604

I think the previous venue was being sold / closed down.

http://www.keighleyandcravenac.co.uk...shireman08.pdf

Entry forms with 70p map option.

If my 13 mile Ingleborough run next weekend goes injury free then I might book the day off work for the 1/2

Super Moderator

There are entry lists for both full and half Yorkshireman (Yorkshiremen?) on the Keighley web-site too and this year there are entry limits so get your entries in fast as it looks like they're filling up quickly

The route for both the Full and Half has changed this year because the race HQ has had to move back to central Haworth which was its original base several years ago.

Amended maps are on the Keighley website.

Basically the start for both is the same, they work their way up through some car parks at the back of Haworth and accross Penistone Hill were they pick up the previous routes.

From the half point of view it follows round the old route until it gets to Oxenhope and then it cuts accross to the train station and follows the Worth Way to Haworth and then up the the Community Centre. New distance is around 14.5 miles.

The full used to cross the Worth Way before the final climb up to the finish but know turns right to join the Worth Way. This will be a much easier finish than before.

These changes are fairly simple to follow but could catch out those who are un prepared.

I'm debating whether to do the yorkshireman 1/2. I've never really done long races before. Prior to last weekend I'd only done 8 1/2 miles but last weekend I did the route of the three peaks in 6 1/2 hours and am now wanting more. I thought maybe i'd do this one, if I just take it steady I should get round. I've never done a race i've got to navigate before and was wondering if it's difficult? Will I just be able to follow people? Just in case my navigation is poor as it's never been tested really and I don't know the area at all...:s

Cool Re: Yorkshireman 1/2 marathon

Quote Originally Posted by randomcaller View Post
    I'm debating whether to do the yorkshireman 1/2. I've never really done long races before. Prior to last weekend I'd only done 8 1/2 miles but last weekend I did the route of the three peaks in 6 1/2 hours and am now wanting more. I thought maybe i'd do this one, if I just take it steady I should get round. I've never done a race i've got to navigate before and was wondering if it's difficult? Will I just be able to follow people? Just in case my navigation is poor as it's never been tested really and I don't know the area at all...:s
    Debate no longer.The half is now full,with a few places left on the full Yorkshireman.
    Check out the KCAC website