Thread: ascention training

ascention training

As i live in a an area with no hills (even small ones), i was wondering if anyone has advice about improving my fitness for ascending on normal road runs, i can make it to dales about three times a month for training

Master

Re: ascention training

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    As i live in a an area with no hills (even small ones), i was wondering if anyone has advice about improving my fitness for ascending on normal road runs, i can make it to dales about three times a month for training
    Darth I can think of one exercise that you can do on your runs: Frog jumps!

Find a quiet area and squat down. Now spring up, forward and down again, into the position you started from. Really drive the legs up and behind the body.Aim to cover 100meters. This exercise works the hill climbing muscles well. It also gets the breathing rate up.

This type of exercise is akin to plyometrics, which on the whole I'm against. The forward movement takes some of the height out of jump though. Take care!

If you've got access to weight training equipment, then that would help. There's plenty of advice in the 'training' section of the forum.

Re: ascention training

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Darth I can think of one exercise that you can do on your runs: Frog jumps!

Find a quiet area and squat down. Now spring up, forward and down again, into the position you started from. Really drive the legs up and behind the body.Aim to cover 100meters. This exercise works the hill climbing muscles well. It also gets the breathing rate up.

This type of exercise is akin to plyometrics, which on the whole I'm against. The forward movement takes some of the height out of jump though. Take care!

If you've got access to weight training equipment, then that would help. There's plenty of advice in the 'training' section of the forum.
    thanks