Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Edale Skyline

  1. #1
    novice
    Guest

    Edale Skyline

    So Iíve got aspirations to do Edale Skyline next March

    Iím planning to do one of the Dark and White mini mountain marathons in Sept, Windgather in Oct and the Roaches in Nov. (After that it would be gravy pud and lambs longer leg.)
    If I then did at least one long run a month of ~ 15 miles and 4000 ft, plus weekly short runs of 5- 8 miles would it be enough to get me round the skyline? Or am I seriously deluding myself and the level of training.

    As an indication of my ability/inability my furthest run to date was Kentmere in just under 2.5hrs!

  2. #2
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GONE but not forgotten from Stainland
    Posts
    8,605

    Re: Edale Skyline

    The best advice I can give you is to see if you can get from the start field round to Mam Nick in 2hr 30 mins and the distance is 11.3 mile.

    Your training appears to look good and there is only one cut-off point. Now dont get me wrong the second half is tough running but the pressure is off at our level onece the cut-off has been achieved.

    I hope you do well novice, get some recce's in and try one with Swoop he knows all the short cuts.
    A quote,

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."

  3. #3
    novice
    Guest

    Re: Edale Skyline

    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The best advice I can give you is to see if you can get from the start field round to Mam Nick in 2hr 30 mins and the distance is 11.3 mile.

    Your training appears to look good and there is only one cut-off point. Now dont get me wrong the second half is tough running but the pressure is off at our level onece the cut-off has been achieved.

    I hope you do well novice, get some recce's in and try one with Swoop he knows all the short cuts.
    Thanks stagger

    Is the route clear from the start upto Ringing Roger?

    I'll definitely be up for a recce in the new year, but I'll try the cutoff before then to see how I fair

  4. #4
    Graeme
    Guest

    Re: Edale Skyline

    From what I can remember it is, parts of it are paved too. Despite not being marked on the OS map the path all the way round to the roman road is pretty obvious.

  5. #5
    Master shaunaneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tayside
    Posts
    4,585

    Re: Edale Skyline

    Whats the route itinerary for the skyline? I know most of it but am a bit sketchy?

  6. #6
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GONE but not forgotten from Stainland
    Posts
    8,605

    Re: Edale Skyline

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Whats the route itinerary for the skyline? I know most of it but am a bit sketchy?


    Registration
    is in the Village Hall (GR 123853),15 minutes walk from the start. Registration will close at 10.15

    
    Start and Finish: Field at the bottom of Grindsbrook (GR123862)


    
    Checkpoints:
    1. Ringing Roger (GR 126872)
    2. Jaggerís Clough (GR144881)
    3. Win Hill Summit (GR 187851)
    4. Hope (Edale Road) (GR 172838)
    5. Lose Hill Summit (GR 153853)
    6. Mam Tor (GR 127835)
    7. Lordís Seat on Path (GR 106832)
    8. Brown Knoll (GR 083851)
    9. Top of Jacobís ladder (GR 081861)
    10. Grindslow Knoll (GR 110868)
    11. Ringing Roger (GR 126872)
    12. Finish (GR 123863)

    
    Time limit and cut off at Mam Nick (GR 125833) is 2 Ĺ hours after the start, no exceptions!

    
    Minimum equipment to be carried: full windproof and waterproof body cover i.e. cagoule with hood and
    overtrousers, hat, gloves, compass, map, whistle, mobile phone and emergency food. There will be kit checks for

    all
    runners. These will take place at registration. Random kit checks will also take place at the start and finish.

    This was taken from last years entry form
    The OS map required is OL1 The Peak District (Dark Peak area)

    I hope this helps

    A quote,

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."

  7. #7
    Senior Member bigfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Peak District
    Posts
    920

    Re: Edale Skyline

    The cut-off at Mam Nick is very tight for many, myself included so don't be too put off if you miss it in training by 5-10 mins as your almost certainly going to be quicker in the race. The second half is tough but different as this is where stamina kicks in. I've reccied the 2nd half many times but deliberatly not tried the first half as such until race day.

    A good way to recce most of the route is start at the Cheshere Cheese just outside Hope, then Lose Hill, Mam Nick second half to Ringing Roger, then the first hald to Crookstone Barn and skirt around Winn Hill and back to the start. Gives you a feel for the whole route but a good bit shorter at around 16-17 miles.

  8. #8
    Graeme
    Guest

    Re: Edale Skyline

    Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    The cut-off at Mam Nick is very tight for many, myself included so don't be too put off if you miss it in training by 5-10 mins as your almost certainly going to be quicker in the race. The second half is tough but different as this is where stamina kicks in. I've reccied the 2nd half many times but deliberatly not tried the first half as such until race day.

    A good way to recce most of the route is start at the Cheshere Cheese just outside Hope, then Lose Hill, Mam Nick second half to Ringing Roger, then the first hald to Crookstone Barn and skirt around Winn Hill and back to the start. Gives you a feel for the whole route but a good bit shorter at around 16-17 miles.
    Is the cheshire cheese any good? I've run past there a few times and wondered what the beer and grub are like.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bigfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Peak District
    Posts
    920

    Re: Edale Skyline

    Never eaten there, but the beer was very good and I'm told the food was also good. The Landlord was a real character but it's changed hands in the last 6 months or so. We often run from / to there so must give it another try soon.

  10. #10
    Grandmaster IanDarkpeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the dark stuff
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: Edale Skyline

    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I hope you do well novice, get some recce's in and try one with Swoop he knows all the short cuts.
    I bet he doesn't know all of them

Similar Threads

  1. Edale Skyline
    By marty mcfly in forum Car Sharing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-03-2009, 09:40 PM
  2. Edale Skyline
    By Swoop in forum Recce
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
  3. Edale Skyline
    By live in hope in forum Recce
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •